Hi. I'm back with another blog. As you are all probably aware, TD still remains on a long hiatus so I thought in the midst of this, why not look at past seasons and analyze them? I don't mean analyze as in review, but I mean analyze as in, how the episode portrays it's characters. In the world of reality TV, this is known as "edgic." For those of you who don't know what edgic means, it's the analysis of how each contestant's personality is edited in an episode of them on reality tv. This is arranged into three categories: Rating, Tone, and Visibility. These three categories end up forming an abbreviation.
Rating: This is to define what exactly is the contestant's importance in the episode, and it's arranged into 5 categories:
- INV (invisible, player received no confessionals, no interaction with anyone, no development, with a sentence or two at most)
- UTR (under the radar; maybe received a confessional or a few lines, but still very inconsequential to the episode)
- MOR (middle of the road; received a couple confessionals, fairly important in the episode, shown to be somewhat important, but still not a huge presence)
- CP (Complex Personality; we fully see the decision making processes and thoughts that the player has. Usually not very one-note. Well developed and complex, as the name suggests, and/or contestants explain them in a complex way)
- OTT (over the top; cartoonish, one-note, usually very present in the episode, but not always. As this is a cartoon show, they are usually one of the most important components due to being described as cartoonish)
Tone: This is added on to the end of the rating and is either:
- PP (extremely positive),
- P (positive),
- M (mixed, containing both positive and negative scenes/traits),
- neutral (no tone)
- N (negative),
- NN (extremely negative).
PP/NN are very rare.
This is added to the end of tone and is a number between 1 and 5. It's is pretty self explanatory; 1 meaning they got very little airtime and 5 meaning they got a lot.
This is a chart labelled 1-4 for each episode, saying who the contenders to win are based on how they're edited in the episode. Survivor does this differently so I'll explain how TD does it. Usually for their winners, they will normally give them a very over the top positive presence, with maybe one or two mixed ones. This can be seen in Owen, Beth, Zoey, Shawn, and The Surfer Dudes. Likewise, winners could be edited to have a complex personality, with a mostly positive presence but maybe one or two mixed or negative ones, examples being Gwen, Heather, Cameron, Mike, Sky, and The Police Cadets. Duncan just gets a combination of all of the above. The only exceptions are Alejandro, and Lightning. Alejandro is a strong presence throughout the season so him being a contender makes sense, and Lightning is a contender due to his competition coming across as less obvious winners by shooting themselves in the foot (e.g. Scott, Jo). A contender can also be relevant if they have their own arc in an episode, as there is sole focus around them for any certain amount of time, meaning they're being catered to to be watched by viewers by the episode. They are usually relevant to win though mainly for reserving the most airtime.
Combining all of these abbreviations ends you up with things such as OTTP4, OTTN3, CPM2, OTT5, UTR1,etc. On a side note, there is a thing known as SPV, which stands for second-person visibility. This means how the contestant is described by their peers, which contributes to their edgic rating. This is why I don't have 5 INVs on Haute Camp-ture for example for the Final 5.
If any of you have watched Survivor, the reality show TD is based off of, you can understand this easier.
So for now, I'll show how I've done this with TDI.
UTR: Under the radar
MOR: Middle of the road
CP: Complex personality
OTT: Over the top
PP: Extremely positive
NN: Extremely negative
Visibility scale: 1 thru 5 (1: lowest; 5: highest)
- However, not *all* episodes necessarily have someone with a 1, or a 5, etc.
Contenders are not necessarily who I want to win, but they are who I think have the best shot at winning.
Hope this wasn't hard to understand for you non-edgic knowers.