Total Drama Island
Country of Origin
Fresh TV Inc./Teletoon
Total Drama Island is the first season of Total Drama. Total Drama Island premiered on the Canadian television channel, Teletoon, on July 8, 2007. It is rated TV-PG or TV-PG-D for Cartoon Network. The show is similar to Survivor, and takes place at Camp Wawanakwa in Muskoka, Ontario.
This season involved twenty-two sixteen years-old contestants who had signed up to be in a reality show on an island, known as "Total Drama Island". The teens all had different expectations for what camp was going to be like, with the underlying idea that it was going to be in a luxurious mansion. According to Chris, to be on the show, one had to be at least sixteen years old and be either "kooky, obnoxious, stuck-up, dense, loud, annoying, filthy, or anywhere remotely in between". The twenty-two teens chosen were divided into two separate teams; the Screaming Gophers and the Killer Bass. The two teams were given challenges every three days which they had to compete in. The losing team would vote one of their members off and the contestant that was voted off would have to walk the Dock of Shame and board the Boat of Losers, which would then take them away. At some point in the competition, the teams would dissolve. After the merge the same elimination process would continue to happen, except then after every challenge only one to two people had invincibility and after every challenge the whole group had to vote somebody out instead of just one team. This process continued until only two people were left to compete in a final challenge where the last contestant standing won $100,000.
- See also: Total Drama Island Elimination Table
- See: Elimination
This is the process in Total Drama Island in which a camper is eliminated; initially, the team that lost the most recent challenge, unless the last challenge happened to be a reward challenge, would vote for a camper and the one with the most votes against them would be voted off the island. Since the teams eventually merged, all the campers began to vote for each other and only the challenge winner received immunity. In certain challenges, a camper would be automatically eliminated without any votes if they lost a challenge after the merge.
CharactersTwenty-two teenage competitors, plus the host, Chris McLean, and Chef Hatchet, the camp's cook and the co-host of the show.
- See: Episodes
There are twenty-six episodes, twenty-seven counting the exclusives, plus a special that led up to next season. TDI Rundown was a special recap episode aired only on Cartoon Network, and Total Drama Island Recap was a special recap episode aired only on Teletoon.
Total Drama Island: Totally Interactive!Total Drama Action EXTRA, though it is still accessible.
- See: Camp TV
Camp TV is the original prototype for Total Drama Island. In it, there were only seventeen of the current contestants which all had different prototype designs, though some of the designs resemble those of the current competitors and interns.
Censorship in United States
- See: Cartoon Network Edits for full list of censors.
Total Drama Island episodes were usually rated TV-PG in the United States, for suggestive dialogue and aggressive language. On occasion an episode would be rated TV-PG D for mild flirtatious dialogue, such as in X-Treme Torture etc.
- See: List of Prizes
Many challenges award prizes to the winner or winners. The usual prize is invincibility for the winning team or contestant. But, on other occasions, rewards were given out as bonuses for their accomplishments.
Cartoon Network's DVD features the entire season and is in fact edited with the censoring of some dialogue whilst the Australian DVDs (released by Madman Entertainment) are split into two collections and are unedited, retaining the original dialogue as the unedited seasons of Total Drama broadcast there.
- This was the first season in which Ezekiel is the first person voted off, and was the first season to feature a two-part episode at the beginning. The second is Total Drama World Tour.
- This was the first season to take place at Camp Wawanakwa.
- This was also the first of only two seasons to take place entirely at Camp Wawanakwa, the other being Total Drama: Revenge of the Island.
- This was the first season in which Courtney and Harold are eliminated back-to-back. The second is Total Drama Action.
- This was also the only season in which Courtney was not eliminated in a double-elimination.
- This was also the only season in which both returning contestants were of the same gender; in this case, both of them are female.
- This was the first season to be released on DVD. The second is Total Drama Action.
- However, Australia released Total Drama Action: Collection 1, in a Region 4 DVD.
- This was the only season to not feature a double elimination.
- This was the only season to not feature a prize of one million dollars, as the prize was $100,000.
- This was the only season to not feature a one-year time span between it and the following season, as the time span between this and next season was two days.
- This was the only season in which a contestant did not quit.
- This was the only season in which the two finalists are from the same team.
- This was the only season in which the two finalists agreed to split the money with each other.
- This was the only season in which Eva, Katie, and Sadie participated in the competition.
- This was the only season in which someone didn't throw or attempt to throw a challenge.
- This was the only season in which Owen, Duncan, and Heather (the only three contestants to reach the final five more than once) are all in the final five together.
- This was the only season in which Gwen and Izzy were not the first members of their teams to be eliminated.
- This was the only season in which Duncan and Courtney were not the last two Killer Bass members left in the season.
- This was the only season in which the finale did not pick up immediately where the previous episode left off.
- This was the only season in which the final three consisted of one male and two females.
- This was the only season in which the lowest-ranking members of both teams are males.
- This was the only season to feature more than twenty-six episodes.
- Also, if Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island is included and considered an actual episode, then this season currently has the most episodes of any season so far, with twenty-nine.
- This season featured the most amount of eliminations of any season so far (including the two returning contestants and Gwen's loss to Owen in the finale), with twenty-three.
- If Mr. Coconut's "elimination" is included, then the amount of eliminations is twenty-four.
- This season featured the most amount of challenges of any season so far, with twenty-five.
- This season featured the most amount of contestants of any season so far, with twenty-two.
- This season featured seven irregular eliminations. This is the reverse of Total Drama World Tour, which featured only seven regular eliminations.
- Occasionally, music similar to music from Survivor is played throughout the season.
- Total Drama Island has been featured as a question on the game show Jeopardy!, with both Dodgebrawl and Brunch of Disgustingness being mentioned as part of the clue.