Total Drama returns with a new cast and a new island. The new island is a Cree island called Pahkitew Island, which translates to "explode". Fourteen contestants have been brought in, and are split into two two teams: the Pimâpotew Kinosewak (Floating Salmon) and the Waneyihtam Maskwak (Confused Bears). Pahkitew Island is completely empty, and the new contestants must rough it in the wild, and compete in new challenges. The winning team receives a meal from a sponsoring restaurant, however, the losing team must vote someone off. The voted off contestant must then take the Cannon of Shame, and leave Pahkitew Island, and lose out on their chance to win the grand prize of one million dollars. One by one, each contestant will leave until only one remains.
"Greetings Total Drama fans! It was time to find a new home for Chris McLean, Chef Hatchet and the Total Drama Crew. As we all know, the Cree word for “explode” is pahkitew... so when we found Pahkitew Island in Western Canada – success! Welcome to Total Drama: Pahkitew Island! And, since they were starting anew, it only seemed right to bring in 14 brand new victims. Did we say victims? We meant contestants, but... tomatotomahto!
Once again teen freaks, geeks, egos and cowards smash, crash, and bash their way through horrifying challenges with one goal in mind: winning that one million dollar prize! Who will take it home? No one knows until number 13 drops and the pain finally stops, here on Total! Drama! Pahkitew Island!!!"
|Voice actor||Role||Episode count|
|Christian Potenza||Chris||13/13 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Chef Hatchet||13/13 episodes|
|Zachary Bennett||Shawn||13/13 episodes|
|Sarah Podemski||Sky||13/13 episodes|
|Rochelle Wilson||Sugar||12/13 episodes|
|Katie Bergin||Jasmine||12/13 episodes|
|Bruce Dow||Max||10/13 episodes|
|Kristi Friday||Scarlett||10/13 episodes|
|Daniel DeSanto||Dave||10/13 episodes|
|Christopher Jacot||Topher||8/13 episodes|
|Sunday Muse||Ella||6/13 episodes|
|Bryn McAuley||Samey||5/13 episodes|
|Ian Ronningen||Rodney||4/13 episodes|
|Bryn McAuley||Amy||4/13 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Leonard||2/13 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Beardo||1/13 episodes|
The process of elimination in this season is similar to the ones in Total Drama Island, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, and Total Drama All-Stars. The elimination takes place around a campfire on the new island and the only change from previous seasons is the location. Marshmallows return as the symbol of safety and if a contestant does not receive one, they must take the Cannon of Shame, representing their elimination from the competition.
The new season was officially confirmed in a Teletoon press release on June 9, 2013. Shortly after, a promotional poster was found on TeletoonMedia.com with silhouettes of the brand-new fourteen-person cast. On October 8, 2013, the storyboard of the second half of episode one, titled "So, Uh This Is My Team?", was leaked online.
A press release posted on February 25, 2014 revealed rough airdates for Pahkitew Island; summer 2014 for Cartoon Network and fall 2014 for Teletoon. A promo picture for the season was posted via a Cake Entertainment press release sometime in mid-March. On March 28, Fresh TV revealed on their Tumblr that the season would air in July 2014 on Cartoon Network. However, just a month later on April 29, the season's Cartoon Network airdate was officially confirmed to be May 27. The May 27 date was later revealed by Julie Giles to have been changed. The season premiered in Italy on K2 on June 13, 2014, with United States airings coming less than a month later on July 7, 2014. Cartoon Network announced that subsequent episodes of the season would be aired in a two-week nightly marathon that would end on July 18, 2014.
The season has been added to Netflix as of January 2016. Despite this being considered the second half of season five, it is shown to be listed as the sixth season of the series.
- This season features another new set of contestants, making them the third generation cast of the show.
- This is the only season of the series where none of the original twenty-two contestants are seen, heard, or mentioned.
- This is the first season where no contestants were severely injured to the point of needing bandages or casts.
- This season follows many elements of Survivor.
- The teams are randomly selected as opposed to a pre-selection of some sort.
- No shelter, food, water, or any other provisions are provided to the contestants.
- Two episode titles come from quotes from the contestants.
- The team names are Cree, similar to how Survivor team names are based on words or names of tribes from the area in which the season takes place.
- The first two male contestants eliminated are both voiced by Clé Bennett, while the first two female contestants eliminated are voiced by Bryn McAuley.
- This is the second season in which three of the four finalists are the same gender, while one is of another gender; in this case, Shawn is the only male contestant in the final four.
- This is the second season to not be edited in any way by Cartoon Network, with the first being Total Drama All-Stars.
- This is the second season in which no contestants return to the competition after being eliminated. The first is Total Drama All-Stars.
- This is the only season where none of the contestants are shown in their swimsuits.
- This is the first season where the males competing never outnumber the female contestants.
- This is a reverse of Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, where there were always more males than females.
- This is the first season to feature a female winner in Canada.
- Beardo, Leonard, Rodney, Samey, Topher, and Dave are the only contestants to be properly voted out, making this season the least number of contestants eliminated normally.