Total Drama returns with a new cast and a new island. The new island is a Cree island called Pahkitew Island, which means "explode". Fourteen contestants have been brought in, and are split into two two teams: the Pimâpotew Kinosewak (Floating Salmon) and the Waneyihtam Maskwak (Confused Bears). Pahkitew Island is completely empty, and the new contestants must rough it in the wild, and compete in new challenges. The winning team receives a meal from a sponsoring restaurant, however, the losing team must vote someone off. The voted off contestant must then take the Cannon of Shame, and leave Pahkitew Island, and lose out on their chance to win the grand prize of one million dollars. One by one, each contestant will leave until only one remains.
"Greetings Total Drama fans! It was time to find a new home for Chris McLean, Chef Hatchet and the Total Drama Crew. As we all know, the Cree word for “explode” is pahkitew... so when we found Pahkitew Island in Western Canada – success! Welcome to Total Drama: Pahkitew Island! And, since they were starting anew, it only seemed right to bring in 14 brand new victims. Did we say victims? We meant contestants, but... tomatotomahto!
Once again teen freaks, geeks, egos and cowards smash, crash, and bash their way through horrifying challenges with one goal in mind: winning that one million dollar prize! Who will take it home? No one knows until number 13 drops and the pain finally stops, here on Total! Drama! Pahkitew Island!!!"
|Voice actor||Role||Episode count|
|Christian Potenza||Chris||13/13 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Chef Hatchet||13/13 episodes|
|Zachary Bennett||Shawn||13/13 episodes|
|Sarah Podemski||Sky||13/13 episodes|
|Rochelle Wilson||Sugar||12/13 episodes|
|Katie Bergin||Jasmine||12/13 episodes|
|Bruce Dow||Max||10/13 episodes|
|Kristi Friday||Scarlett||10/13 episodes|
|Daniel DeSanto||Dave||10/13 episodes|
|Christopher Jacot||Topher||8/13 episodes|
|Sunday Muse||Ella||6/13 episodes|
|Bryn McAuley||Samey||5/13 episodes|
|Ian Ronningen||Rodney||4/13 episodes|
|Bryn McAuley||Amy||4/13 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Leonard||2/13 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Beardo||1/13 episodes|
The process of elimination in this season is similar to the ones in Total Drama Island, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, and Total Drama All-Stars. The elimination takes place around a campfire on the new island and the only change from previous seasons is the location. Marshmallows return as the symbol of safety and if a contestant does not receive one, they must take the Cannon of Shame, representing their elimination from the competition.
The new season was officially confirmed in a Teletoon press release on June 9, 2013. Shortly after, a promotional poster was found on TeletoonMedia.com with silhouettes of the brand-new fourteen-person cast. On October 8, 2013, the storyboard of the second half of episode one, titled "So, Uh This Is My Team?", was leaked online.
A press release posted on February 25, 2014 revealed rough airdates for Pahkitew Island; summer 2014 for Cartoon Network and fall 2014 for Teletoon. A promo picture for the season was posted via a Cake Entertainment press release sometime in mid-March. On March 28, Fresh TV revealed on their Tumblr that the season would air in July 2014 on Cartoon Network. However, just a month later on April 29, the season's Cartoon Network airdate was officially confirmed to be May 27. The May 27 date was later revealed by Julie Giles to have been changed. The season premiered in Italy on K2 on June 13, 2014, with United States airings coming less than a month later on July 7, 2014. Cartoon Network announced that subsequent episodes of the season would be aired in a two-week nightly marathon that would end on July 18, 2014.
The season has been added to Netflix as of January 2016. Despite this being considered the second half of season five, it is shown to be listed as the sixth season of the series.
- This season features yet another new set of contestants, making them the third generation cast of the show.
- This is the first season of the series where none of the original twenty-two contestants are ever seen, heard, or mentioned.
- This is the first season where no contestants were severely injured to the point of needing bandages or casts.
- This is the first season in the history of Total Drama to not have a clearly-defined main antagonist, with this season having two different contestants with villainous tendencies.
- Scarlett, who had several hints early on at a darker true nature, first acted as Max's sidekick, giving him ideas on how to sabotage the other team and be more "evil". While she initially planned to let Max take the blame for "his" ideas, she grew visibly infuriated with Max calling her his "sidekick", and eventually decided that she would stop at nothing to eliminate Max. She finally revealed her true nature in Scarlett Fever, when she took control of the island and threatened to kill all the remaining contestants if she didn't receive the million dollars. However, she was outsmarted and eliminated alongside Max.
- Sugar, the only villainous contestant on Waneyihtam Maskwak, made it clear early on that she was determined to win the game, with her ruthless, competitive, and greedy nature explained by the fact that she had previously competed in beauty pageants. She was more game-focused than Scarlett, first orchestrating Ella's elimination due to her strong dislike of her. After this, she then focused on breaking up Dave and Sky due to seeing a relationship as a threat, and also tried to form an alliance to counter it; first with Shawn (which failed), and then successfully with Sky. Although she attempted to betray Sky and get her eliminated in Sky Fall, she caused Jasmine's elimination instead. Also, she noticeably outranked Scarlett in the overall season. Thus, from the purely statistical standpoint, Sugar ranks as the most successful of the two potential antagonists, coming in third place and causing two eliminations.
- This season follows many elements of Survivor.
- The teams are randomly selected as opposed to a pre-selection of some sort.
- No shelter, food, water, or any other provisions are provided to the contestants, meaning they must build their own shelter and find their own food.
- Some episodes' titles come from quotes from the contestants.
- The team names are based on the language of the Cree, similar to how Survivor team names are based on words or names of tribes from the area in which the season takes place.
- The first two male contestants eliminated were both voiced by Clé Bennett while the first two female contestants eliminated are voiced by Bryn McAuley.
- This is the second season three of the four finalists are of one gender, while one is of the other gender; in this case, Shawn is the only male in the final four.
- This is the second season to not be edited in any way by Cartoon Network.
- This is the second season to not feature any contestants returning after being previously eliminated before the finale.
- This is the first season where the contestants are never shown in their swimsuits.
- This is the first season where there are never more males than females left in the competition.
- This is a reverse of Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, where there were always more males than females for the entire season.
- This is the first season in which a female contestant wins in Canada.
- This season currently has the least amount of people voted out properly, with six.
- This is the only season to not feature official biographies of the contestants.