The two teams compete in a twenty kilometer race and a buffet-eating contest, only to discover that their real challenge is an "Awake-A-Thon" to test who can stay awake the longest. Two campers start to bond while another forms the first alliance. Ultimately, someone is sabotaged by an opposing team member and becomes the second camper voted off by their team.
The episode opens up with Chris waking up the two teams, by blowing a horn. Because of this, Leshawna abruptly wakes up, and hits her head on the top bunk, and, angered by how early she is woken up, asks Chris if she looked like a farmer to him. The scene changes, and Chris announces that the next challenge begins in one minute with a twenty kilometer run around the lake on the campus. Owen asks Chris if there will be breakfast, and Chris says there will be breakfast, but after they complete the challenge. Eva gets ticked off at Chris, and attempts to punch him, however, Duncan and Geoff hold her back. Courtney says in the confessional that Eva has to learn how to control her anger, or she would never have a career, stating that Eva threw her suitcase at a window and broke a lock on one of the girls' bathroom doors.
The run begins and some campers make an attempt at it, while others choose not to put in the effort and walk. Heather is one of the people in the latter group and steps in a puddle that Owen is licking. He is allegedly trying to catch his breath and claims to have some sort of condition because of it. Heather walks on top of Owen to get by him, telling him that his "condition" is called overeating. Afterwards, the tired campers are gathered in the main lodge. Noah, who is apparently unconscious, is carried by Owen to a table where he rapidly attempts to revive Noah, followed by Leshawna and finally Harold. Because all the Screaming Gophers finished before Harold, they think they have won the challenge and earned invincibility (causing Noah to suddenly wake up).
However, Chris interrupts them to say the run wasn't the actual challenge, and unveils a delicious banquet for the campers to eat: Turkey, energy bars, cooked beans, maple syrup, gravy, and much more makes up the exquisite meal. The campers gladly eat all of the food, overwhelmed by being able to eat real food after a week of Chef's disgusting meals. They all think they have been through enough, but Chris announces the second part of the challenge: the Awake-A-Thon. The rules are that the last person awake wins the challenge for his or her team. The twenty-kilometer run and the large banquet of delicious food make it even more difficult for the campers to stay awake. Trent walks over to Gwen and asks her when she thinks everyone will fall asleep. Gwen responds saying one hour, as a drooling Owen walks by. Gwen then changes her answer and says "maybe less."
Twelve hours into the challenge, Chris notes that all twenty-one campers are still awake, but Owen quickly becomes the first one to succumb to slumber. Gwen comments that the Awake-A-Thon was the most brutal event she has ever done in her life. Heather muses in the confessional about setting up an alliance to get her to the final three, needing someone desperate or dumb enough to do whatever she says. She asks Beth and Lindsay to join her in the alliance, which they agree to do. Lindsay asked if Tyler can join, but she quickly declines, due to Tyler being on the other team. On her way to the bathroom, Eva drops her MP3 player. Heather, apparently well aware of Eva's short temper and conflict with her own team already, secretly scoops up the fallen MP3 player, and hides it. Heather banks on this enraging Eva, which will cause her teammates to eliminate her and get rid of one of their strongest members.
When the Awake-A-Thon hits the twenty-four hour mark, seventeen of the twenty-one campers remain awake, with Bridgette, Noah, and Izzy now also asleep. Tyler slowly dozes off and proceeds to have a nightmare in which Katie and Sadie are mauled by a bear. Chris decides to start reading fairy tales to the campers, accompanied by Chef dressed in a tutu and playing the harp in order to lull more of the campers into sleeping. Chef starts dancing and sprinkling "sparkles" over the campers while Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy plays in the background, which makes a few campers drowsier. DJ, despite his attempts to stay awake by tying himself to a tree, falls asleep, taking the tree down with him. Courtney looks to keep moving in place constantly in order to stay awake, but eventually falls asleep as well. The score evens up with four Gophers and Bass awake when Lindsay and Beth fall asleep. Owen is seen sleepwalking in the nude as Trent and Gwen talk to each other to try and stay awake, making it the first time a relationship between the two starts to bud. Owen falls off the thousand foot cliff as his sleepwalking continues.
At the fifty-one hour mark, Gwen, Trent, and Eva notice that Justin has painted his eyelids to look like they're open, so Chris disqualifies him as well. After Owen is shown sleep-swimming upstream with the fish, the scene shifts to eighty-five hours into the Awake-A-Thon. By now, Courtney and Cody have also fallen asleep. Duncan passes the time by causing a sleeping Harold to wet himself by placing his hand in warm water. Duncan is ecstatic when he realizes the old trick actually works. Noah awakens to discover he is cuddling with Cody and kissing his ear, which leads to both of them screaming in horror. Eventually, Chris suggests that the campers who had fallen asleep should take a shower, as everyone was starting to smell by this point.
By the hundred-hour mark, only Duncan, Gwen, Heather, Eva, and Trent are left awake. Chris uses his last resort to make the campers give: reading to them the history of Canada in pop-up book form. This is boring enough to put Eva and Heather to sleep immediately. Soon after, Trent falls asleep, immensely devastating Gwen. After only the first chapter of the book, it was now down to only one Gopher and one Bass. After a while, Chris decides to give the remaining campers a bathroom break. Duncan tries to hold it, but concedes when Gwen challenges him to hold it for another ten chapters of the pop-up book. Duncan is later found asleep in the stall and this news is announced mere seconds before Gwen falls asleep as well. Gwen is the official winner of the Awake-A-Thon, giving her and her team invincibility.
Later that afternoon, Eva is seen throwing things out of her cabin's window, looking for her beloved MP3 player. Eva accuses her teammates of stealing it. Soon Heather arrives and says she found the MP3 player next to the campfire pit, then hands it back to Eva, who tries to apologize to her team for snapping and accusing them, but is only frowned upon. That night at the campfire ceremony, Chris gives the marshmallows to Duncan, Bridgette, Courtney, Katie, Sadie, Tyler, DJ, and Geoff. It then comes down to Eva and Harold, and Chris gives the final marshmallow to Harold, meaning that Eva is voted off. After screaming at her former teammates and kicking Chris in the shin, Eva boards the Boat of Losers and leaves the island.
Afterwards, Courtney has a marshmallow toast with her teammates, vowing that her team will not end up in this position again next week. Owen is then seen sleeping in a cave as four Sasquatchanakwas look at him. One of them pokes him with a stick, causing him to fart. One of them sniffs the air, then throws Owen out of the cave, leaving him there alone for the rest of the night.
|Stephanie Anne Mills||Lindsay|
- Bridgette, Chef, Cody, DJ, Geoff, Izzy, Justin, Katie, Noah, Sadie, and Tyler appeared, but they have no lines. However, Noah, Cody, and Tyler are heard screaming, Katie and Sadie gasp, DJ yawns when he falls asleep, and Chef growls while strumming the harp.
- The camera man is heard speaking when checking up on Duncan in the bathroom, but it is unknown who voiced him.
- The bear and Sasquatchanakwa make their debut in this episode.
- The first alliance of the series is formed in this episode.
- Owen's rear is shown uncensored. For the rest of the series, it is pixelated when shown.
- This is the first episode in which Emilie-Claire Barlow voices Courtney.
- Gwen has her first one-on-one interactions with both her future boyfriends in this episode.
- This episode's title is likely a reference to the 1939 crime novel of the same name, The Big Sleep or the 1946 movie also named The Big Sleep.
- When Chef Hatchet is dancing around in a tutu, the song "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy", from the 1892 ballet, The Nutcracker, is playing.
- Trent's favorite song, "She Would Be Loved", is a reference to a real-life song named, She Will Be Loved performed by the band, Maroon 5.
- Gwen's favorite movie scene is a reference to Crossroads, which starred Britney Spears.
- The challenge in this episode may be a reference to the British reality show, Shattered.
- The shot of a hallucinating Tyler screaming and holding the sides of his head, along with the eerily-colored and streaked background, is a reference to the famous painting The Scream, by Edvard Munch.
- When all the campers are standing in front of the cabins getting ready for the first challenge, Harold is seen walking over to stand next to Eva, but in the next scene Cody is walking over to her and he clearly isn't anywhere nearby in the previous scene.
- Chris is wearing shorts when he wakes the campers up. However, when he starts the run around the lake, he is wearing pants.
- Courtney says that Eva has only been on Camp Wawanakwa one day, conflicting with Gwen's statement later that they have eaten Chef's food for a week.
- When Gwen and Trent see Owen naked, their eyes are wide and the bags are missing. Their eyes also widen when they think Justin is still awake, yet the bags are still there.
- Despite the Screaming Gophers apparently winning the first challenge, Izzy is not seen with them in the cafeteria.
- When the Killer Bass are waving goodbye to Eva, Justin is seen with them, despite being on the other team.
- When the campers are sitting in the cafeteria waiting for the others to finish their run, the table on the right has Gwen sitting on the inside row. However, in the next scene, Beth is sitting there.
- When Gwen is talking to Trent while attempting to stay awake, the bags under her eyes are missing. However, they instantly show up again on her close up. Also, Trent doesn't have bags at the beginning of the conversation, but later on he does.
- At one point, the score stands at nine Gophers to seven Bass. However, these scores are reversed, as there are nine Bass awake (only Bridgette is asleep) to seven Gophers (Owen, Noah, Izzy, and Leshawna are asleep).
- When the counter points out that six Gopher campers are still up, there are actually seven awake (Gwen, Trent, Heather, Justin, Lindsay, Beth, and Cody).
- When Owen falls asleep, despite being the first one to do so, the scoreboard shows that the Killer Bass are winning ten to nine.
- Cody has a gap in his teeth, but when Owen farts in his face, he has a full top row of teeth.
- When Eva is turning the cabin upside down trying to find her MP3 Player, she throws Trent's guitar out the window at one point, but Trent is not a Killer Bass.
- When Eva smiles as she sees Heather with her MP3 player, her mole is switched to the left side.
- When some of the campers fall asleep there are still bags under their eyes, but when Duncan, Eva, and a few others fall asleep, their bags disappear.
- When Noah and Cody begin to wake up, Noah's white undershirt is red.
- When Geoff is given his marshmallow he eats it, but at the end when all the Bass are roasting their marshmallows over the campfire he has one again.
- When Owen tries to revive Noah, his ear is missing.
- When Izzy is sleeping, she is wearing two wristbands despite usually only wearing one (on her right wrist).
- Eva's hair seems to be longer on the Dock of Shame and when she is boarding the Boat of Losers.