The Screaming Gophers is one of the two opposing teams on Total Drama Island. The Screaming Gophers originally consists of Beth, Cody, Gwen, Heather, Justin, Katie, Leshawna, Lindsay, Noah, Owen, Trent. In Not So Happy Campers - Part 2, Katie and Sadie, being inseparable, beg Chris to allow them be on the same team, and after a while, Chris allows Katie to switch to the Killer Bass. Izzy then becomes a Screaming Gopher as a result. The Screaming Gophers' logo is a green gopher standing upright with its fists drawn out. It is mounted on a pale yellow circle with a green ring surrounding it.
In Not So Happy Campers - Part 1, the team members are chosen by Chris. The Screaming Gophers have gone undefeated for the first two episodes. They seem to get along pretty well in the first challenge and their teamwork is better than their rival team. Their winning streak ends in Dodgebrawl, when the Killer Bass manage to defeat them in three out of five dodgeball matches after the Gophers have already taken the lead with two wins, losing the third and fourth thanks to Duncan's prison tactics. They lose the last match due to Harold's figure skating skills, which gives them their first loss. Noah becomes the first Screaming Gopher voted off the island, because of his refusal to help in the dodgeball match and lack of team spirit. All the way up until If You Can't Take The Heat..., the Gophers have always either tied or at an advantage in numbers.
From Up the Creek to If You Can't Take The Heat..., the Screaming Gophers lose three consecutive challenges, losing Izzy, Cody, and Beth respectively, which decreased their numbers below those of the Killer Bass for the first and only time in the season's run. This is mostly perceived as bad luck from a cursed tiki idol that Beth unknowingly had taken from Boney Island in Up the Creek, which led up to her elimination. However, following Beth's elimination. The Gophers redeem themselves by winning another three consecutive challenges up until Brunch of Disgustingness, when the teams are split up by gender temporarily and merge in the next episode (giving the Gophers a six-four advantage over the Bass), meaning that Heather, Trent, Gwen, Leshawna, Owen, and Lindsay are the only Gopher members to make it to the merge.
The two teams end in Brunch of Disgustingness; Bridgette moves to the Gophers' cabin, while Trent and Owen move into the Bass' cabin in order to have the two genders compete against each other during the challenge. Izzy returns in No Pain, No Game, claiming to have been living in the woods since her elimination and in that same episode the teams are permanently dissolved.
|Screaming Gophers teammates|
|Beth | Cody | Gwen | Heather | Izzy | Justin | Katie | Leshawna | Lindsay | Noah | Owen | Trent|
|Contestant||Gender||Rank||Team rank||Episode||Reason for elimination|
|Noah||Male||21st||11th||Dodgebrawl||Refused to participate in the dodgeball game by being over-sarcastic and ticked off his teammates.|
|Justin||Male||20th||10th||Not Quite Famous||Heather tricked others into voting off Justin instead of her.|
|Izzy||Female||Returns||Returns||Up the Creek||Although she was not actually eliminated, the RCMP arrive to arrest her and she runs off screaming, "You'll never get me alive!"|
|Cody||Male||17th||9th||Paintball Deer Hunter||He was in a full body cast due to being mauled by a bear and the team thought he wasn't useful anymore.|
|Beth||Female||16th||8th||If You Can't Take The Heat...||Her team found out about the cursed tiki idol she took from Boney Island and was blamed for their losses.|
|Trent||Male||11th||7th||Search and Do Not Destroy||Gwen told Leshawna that Heather kissed Trent. Leshawna told everybody to vote him or Heather off. Since Heather won invincibility, they voted off Trent instead.|
|Lindsay||Female||9th||6th||That's Off the Chain!||Thanks to Heather she crossed the finish line second, but since Owen and Duncan couldn't make it to the finish line, due to their bikes being destroyed, by a technicality, she was the last to cross the finish line.|
|Izzy||Female||7th||5th||Wawanakwa Gone Wild!||She shot Heather, Chef Hatchet, a plane, and a horse with a tranquillizer gun due to having bad hunting skills and being too crazy.|
|Leshawna||Female||5th||4th||Haute Camp-ture||Katie and Sadie accidentally caused many of the campers and a parrot to vote her off by saying her name.|
|Heather||Female||3rd||3rd||I Triple Dog Dare You!||Gwen and Owen teamed up against her, and she failed a dare on a technicality.|
|Gwen||Female||1st/2nd||1st/2nd||The Very Last Episode, Really!||Won the final challenge and won the first season; came in second in Owen's ending.|
|Owen||Male||1st/2nd||1st/2nd||The Very Last Episode, Really!||Won the final challenge and won the first season; came in second in Gwen's ending.|
- The Screaming Gophers are seen as the superior team to the Killer Bass in challenges, losing only five challenges compared to the Killer Bass' seven.
- Throughout the entire series, original members of the Gophers are generally more successful in winning than the Bass' members. Examples of this include:
- They won most of the challenges (both pre-merge and post-merge) in Total Drama Island.
- All of the Screaming Gophers (except for Cody and Noah), return for Total Drama Action.
- All of the Screaming Gophers (except for Trent, Beth, and Justin) return for Total Drama World Tour.
- Every former Gopher, except Katie, competes on at least two seasons.
- Four out of the final five contestants in Total Drama Island (Owen, Gwen, Heather, and Leshawna) are Gophers, and the final three campers are all Gophers.
- A Gopher makes it to the final two in each of the first three seasons, whereas there are no former Bass in the final two of Total Drama Island or Total Drama World Tour.
- Every former Gopher makes it to or past the team merge at least once, except for Noah.
- A Gopher is never one of the first two people eliminated from the show, until Lindsay in Total Drama All-Stars.
- In every season to feature members of the original cast, there is at least one Gopher competing in every episode, or (in the case of the Aftermath episodes and The Final Wreck-ening) making some sort of an appearance.
- The Screaming Gophers currently feature the highest amount of contestants who have competed in the first three seasons, tying with its Total Drama Action counterpart, the Screaming Gaffers. Both teams have six members in this category.
- For the Gophers, those six are Lindsay, Heather, Gwen, Leshawna, Izzy, and Owen.
- The Screaming Gophers currently feature the second-highest amount of contestants who have competed in four seasons, once again tying with the Screaming Gaffers, as well as Team Amazon with three, behind the Villainous Vultures, with four.
- For the Gophers, those three are Gwen, Heather, and Lindsay.
- The Screaming Gophers have more members then the Killer Bass that have made it to the final four of a season. Those members are Owen, Gwen, Heather, Beth, and Cody.
- Also, at least one member of the Screaming Gophers reach the final four in every season featuring the original contestants.
- There are several strange flaws with the Screaming Gophers picture:
- For some reason, Ezekiel is not included in the Killer Bass' picture. Instead, he appears in the Screaming Gophers' picture.
- Noah is not smiling in the picture, even though he is smiling in the main promotional picture with all of the twenty-two campers.
- Gwen is standing on air and since she is leaning over, her back seems bent out of shape.
- Cody's shirt and pants are altered from the promotional picture, and his legs are very irregularly shaped.
- Some of the highlights on Heather's hair are absent.
- Every post-merge challenge in the first season with a winner was won by a former Gopher:
- No Pain, No Game: Leshawna wins invincibility and a luxurious trailer.
- Search and Do Not Destroy: Although almost everyone "wins" the challenge, Heather wins the only invincibility pass.
- Hide and Be Sneaky: Leshawna wins once again, winning invincibility. Heather also wins invincibility by helping Chef hunt other campers.
- That's Off the Chain!: Heather wins invincibility.
- Hook, Line, and Screamer: Gwen wins invincibility.
- Wawanakwa Gone Wild!: Gwen wins the prize of a gourmet dinner.
- Are We There Yeti?: Gwen and Heather both win the challenge.
- Thus, in the two episodes after that, a Gopher wins.
- In most of the series, there are more former Gophers in the game than former Bass:
- In Total Drama Island, the only episode in which there are more Bass on the island than Gophers is Who Can You Trust? (with seven Bass and six Gophers) In addition, the only three episodes where there is an even amount of each are The Sucky Outdoors (nine each), If You Can't Take The Heat... (seven each), and Basic Straining (six each).
- In Total Drama Action, the only episodes where there are more Bass than Gophers are Get a Clue, Crouching Courtney, Hidden Owen, and 2008: A Space Owen (all three of these have had three Bass and two Gophers). In addition, the only episodes where there are the same amount of Gophers and Bass are The Princess Pride (three each), Rock n' Rule (three each), Top Dog (two each), Mutiny on the Soundstage, and The Aftermath: IV (the latter two both had one each).
- In Total Drama World Tour, there are no episodes where there is ever more Bass than Gophers. The only episode with an even amount of competitors from both teams is Chinese Fake-Out (with two each).
- Total Drama All-Stars started with three Gophers and two Bass until one of the Gophers is eliminated in the pilot. The only episodes where there is an even amount of Bass and Gophers are Evil Dread, Saving Private Leechball, Food Fright, Moon Madness, and No One Eggspects The Spanish Opposition, with two each. The only episodes where there are more Bass than Gophers are Suckers Punched and You Regatta Be Kidding Me, with two Bass and one Gopher. In Zeek And Ye Shall Find, The Obsta-Kill Kourse, and Sundae Muddy Sundae, it is back to being even with one Bass and one Gopher. In The Bold and the Booty-ful, the only member of the original cast left is a Gopher.
- This continues even in the spin-off, where there are two Gophers and one Bass competing until the former Gophers are eliminated in Got Venom.
- Beth is the only female Screaming Gopher to compete in only two seasons.
- This is the only team Izzy has been on in which she isn't the first member to be eliminated.
- Gwen currently holds the record for most challenges won in a single season (Total Drama Island), and also the record for most challenge wins in all of the seasons she participates in.
- Counting Gwen's ending of The Very Last Episode, Really!, this is one of five teams whose highest ranking member is a female. The other are the Killer Grips, Team Amazon, Heroic Hamsters (counting Zoey's ending of The Final Wreck-ening), and Pimâpotew Kinosewak.
- The runner-ups of the first three seasons of Canada are on this team.
- Out of all the teams from the first three seasons, this team has the most contestants that make additional cameo appearances in the fourth season, with five members.
- Owen is the only male member of the team to have a cameo appearance in the fourth season, as well as the fifth season (of all those who didn't compete in Total Drama All-Stars).
- The Screaming Gophers are one of only two teams to have the final three of the season on it, with the other being Waneyihtam Maskwak from Total Drama: Pahkitew Island.
- Despite being considered the "superior" team of the season, they are the first team ever to lose more than two times in a row.
- Leshawna and Beth are the only female members of this team who did not make an individual cameo appearance in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island.