|Season 2, Episode 1|
|First aired (CAN)||January 11, 2009|
|First aired (USA)||June 11, 2009|
|Challenge(s)||The cast must race to the trailers, while being chased by a monster, find the key inside prop food.|
|Reward(s)||First pick of the cast trailers.|
"Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island
(Total Drama Island)"
After ending in a fourteen-way tie for the million dollars, the contestants are brought to the set of Total Drama Action. Their first challenge will be one of monstrous proportions, and the winner gets to pick the trailer for their gender.
The episode opens by showing the castmates who qualified for season two, Owen, Gwen, Heather, Duncan, Leshawna, Geoff, DJ, Lindsay, Bridgette, Trent, Harold, Beth, Izzy, and Justin, being dropped off by a bus to the set of Total Drama Action after ending in a fourteen-way-tie for the million dollar prize Chris offered in the previous episode. Chris picks them up in a tram and gives them a tour of their temporary new home. It is revealed that the losing castmates will walk the Walk of Shame into the Lame-o-sine.As they are driving around the set, Chris begins to tell a story about how this was once a set for a monster movie, until the star had some "problems." As it turns out, the star is not an actress, as Lindsay assumes, but rather a mechanical monster resembling a dinosaur. Chef, wearing a motion-sensitive suit, controls the monster, as Chris explains how the first challenge is to race to a set of trailers before the monster can catch them. Everyone, except DJ (who fainted upon seeing the monster), races off the cart and hurries toward the trailers with the monster in hot pursuit. One by one, each castmate is deposited into a moon bounce when the monster catches them in short order. Soon, only Owen is left. When Chef finally locates him, the monster attempts to pick him up to put him in the moon bounce. However, Owen is too heavy to pick up, so the monster breaks down, leaving Owen safe to find the trailers. Ten hours later, Owen finds the other castmates and releases them from the moon bounce by puncturing it with a sharp needle. The contestants, after complaining about him taking so long to free them, move on to the second challenge. As each castmate enters the new mess hall, Chris explains how the contestants will be divided into teams of boys versus girls. They then see a delicious-looking feast that is set upon some tables. Owen erupts into a feeding frenzy, thinking the food is for an eating contest and eats everything on the table. Chris, amused, explains how the food was made from plastic, foam-core, sawdust and silicone and the challenge was to find the key hidden inside the "food." Then Owen burps up the key, and wins the challenge for his fellow males. Owen is now starting to suffer because of the prop food and is offered medical attention, which he initially refuses. For winning the reward, Owen gets to choose from two trailers where the boys will bunk and where the girls will bunk. As it turns out, one of the trailers had been crushed under the monster's feet during the first challenge, and the guys assume that Owen will choose the unharmed trailer. Instead, Owen chooses the crushed one, as he claims that "it had more character." The guys begin to yell at Owen until Chef makes the monster (now repaired) crushing the other trailer as well. Later, the trailers are repaired by Chef and the castmates must figure out where they'll bunk. The boys decide with relative ease, with Duncan sharing a bunk with Justin, Harold calling a bunk, Geoff calling the one under his, and Trent and Owen splitting one, leaving DJ alone. No one wants to share a bunk bed with Heather, so the girls draw makeup brushes (since there were no straws) to see who will bunk where. Lindsay and Beth share a bunk, Gwen and Bridgette share, and Leshawna and Izzy share a bunk, leaving Heather with two bunks of her own due to a mathematical error, to which Gwen responds, "Yeah, we really need to work on our math." Later, early in the morning, Chris yells into a megaphone to wake the castmates up, and asks what will be in store for the castmates in the next episode. As the closing line, he says, "McLean out!" Off-screen, the monster roars and Chris asks, "Will someone please put a wrap on that monster?"
|Clé Bennett||Chef Hatchet/DJ|
|Stephanie Anne Mills||Lindsay|
- The various mini-teams formed among the contestants in this episode were:
- Geoff and Bridgette.
- Harold and Leshawna.
- Owen and Duncan.
- Beth, DJ, Trent, and Gwen.
- Heather, Izzy, Justin, and Lindsay were all by themselves.
- Originally, Duncan was partnered with Trent and Gwen. However, he eventually teams up with Owen while Trent and Gwen joined DJ and Beth.
- Izzy was seen with Owen moments before getting captured but wasn't really working with him.
- The eating part is set up similar to the Brunch of Disgustingness, as it has boys versus girls, and Owen winning it for the boys (it also features the same montage song).
- According to the Total Drama Production Blog, while on the table Owen was originally supposed to tell everyone he's fine. However, Scott McCord (who voices Owen and Trent) improvised the line, "Nope. Call 911." The production crew found it so funny that they kept it for the episode.
- This episode first premiered on Teletoon's website on January 8, 2009. It was available to everyone, even those outside of Canada. However, on the next day, Teletoon blocked all non-Canadians from watching any videos on their website.
- Izzy is never seen on-screen with the other cast members in the holding pen. However, a silhouette of her can be seen when Geoff and Bridgette are dropped in, and again when Leshawna and Harold are dropped in. It can also be partially seen when Justin is dropped in, but it is in front of another silhouette, so it is hard to make out.
- In the girls' trailer, the girls sleep in the bunks sharing with somebody:
- Interestingly enough, when the couples were captured, the guy would say something before falling. If both the girl and the boy said something, the boy would say something right before the drop, except in Harold and Leshawna's case when they bounced again and Leshawna responded to Harold's declaration of love.
- This is the only episode (aside from the aftermaths, and Super Hero-ld) of Total Drama Action not to have its title be a spoof of a movie's.
- This is currently the only first episode of a season in which the teams are not formed, as it is instead a free-for-all challenge.
- This is the only premiere episode of a season to begin with a recap of the previous season.
- The first three cast members that were taken by the monster were to be the first three eliminated.
- This is the first episode of the season that featured two people in the confessional.
- This is the first time this season, but fifth time overall, that Chris has mentioned an episode's title. The others are in Phobia Factor, Brunch of Disgustingness, No Pain, No Game, and I Triple Dog Dare You!.
- This is the first premiere episode of a season that is not the first part of a two-part episode. The second is Bigger! Badder! Brutal-er! and the third is Heroes vs. Villains.
- This episode's title parodies the hit song Monster Mash by Boris Pickett and his Crypt Kickers.
- Izzy says a quote, referenced to the film, The Wedding Crashers:
- "Thanks for the date, baby! Don't ever leave me. 'Cause I'd find you!" Coincidentally, the character who said this quote resembles Izzy both in terms of personality and appearance.
- The monster is a reference to the long-running Godzilla movies.
- This is the third time Izzy has yelled like Tarzan. The other times being in No Pain, No Game and Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island.
- There were multiple instances in this episode where Heather was seen with highlights in her solid colored wig, which denote a goof as her still having her real hair. These instances occur:
- When Heather tries getting off the bus and collides with Gwen.
- When Chef is chasing the raccoon out of the tent.
- When Trent throws Heather out of his way, it also appears to look like her real hair.
- When everyone was sleeping in the holding pin, Heather's hair was seen. However, it changes back to her regular wig after she wakes up.
- During the eating challenge when the screen goes from Owen and Chef Hatchet to all the other cast members.
- When Heather gets off the bus, she is missing her eyebrows.
- When the monster is dropping Justin into the "cage," the shapes of Gwen and Trent are visible on the right side, but it is supposed to be Bridgette and Geoff there, as shown in the next shot, where everyone is staring at Justin. This also happens when Harold and Leshawna are put in.
- In the blow-up house while everyone is asleep waiting for Owen, Trent is not seen until he confronts Owen about his slowness later on.
- When the monster looks at Justin, its eyes are clearly red, but when it is seen with Owen, and Duncan its eyes are black.
- When the castmates wake up in the bounce house after waiting for Owen, the iconic skull logo on Duncan's shirt is missing.
- During the zoom-out of the cart, Harold is seen going left instead of right.
- When the monster appears, Duncan is standing next to Bridgette. In the next scene, Geoff is standing between Duncan and Bridgette.
- Several times, the letter "O" on Owen's back is missing.
- This happens when Owen is about to pop the holding pin.
- This happens again when he is lying on the table after the eating challenge.
- In the preview for Total Drama Action, DJ is seen running with the other castmates at the beach, however, in this episode, DJ was never seen running with them.
- In this episode, Owen seems to be slowed down by his massive weight (as it takes him over ten hours just to walk three blocks), though he seemed to be able to move perfectly fine on the island and his weight was never an issue for him (though he may have been fatigued due to excessive running from the monster).
- Izzy is seen sitting on her luggage when the bus pulls away, but when Owen tells her to get on the trailer (and she is seen whistling), the luggage is nowhere to be seen. She may have tossed it on off-screen and simply did not board the trailer.
- Though Owen wins the challenge because the monster could not pick him up, the monster had picked up Beth, DJ, Gwen, and Trent together in one hand without a problem. These castmates' (particularly DJ's) combined weight would certainly outweigh Owen's 296 pounds. However, it could be possible that Owen had gained more pounds prior to this episode or that lifting so many people had a cumulative effect on the monster's ability to lift.