| Killer Bass|
|Eliminated|| TDI: Hook, Line, and Screamer|
TDA: The Sand Witch Project
TDWT: Jamaica Me Sweat
|Place|| TDI: 8th|
|Friends||Bridgette, Cody, Duncan, Geoff, Gwen, Harold, Katie, Leshawna, Lindsay, Owen, Trent, Tyler|
|Enemies||Alejandro, Chef Hatchet, Courtney|
|Voiced by||Clé Bennett|
Devon "DJ" Joseph, labeled The Brickhouse With Heart, was a camper on Total Drama Island as a member of the Killer Bass. He was also a cast member on Total Drama Action as a member of the Screaming Gaffers. He returned for Total Drama World Tour as a member of Team Victory. He was seen with the original contestants on a yacht in the first episode of Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, and had a cameo appearance in Eat, Puke and Be Wary.
DJ can be described as a "teddy bear." While his large size can make him seem intimidating, his true demeanor is anything but. DJ wants the best for everyone and refuses to put winning a challenge above anyone's safety. He loves animals, and has adopted a few pets during his time on Total Drama. Unfortunately, they don't always return his affections. Many of DJ's encounters with animals end with one side sustaining injury. His compassionate behavior has made him one of the most popular competitors among the cast. He sometimes can be too sensitive and easily frightened, which interferes with his challenge performances. DJ holds his mother to the highest authority. He credits her for making him the way he is and names her as his best quality. She also was responsible for a huge decision DJ once had to make, when he was haunted by an illegal deal. He loves cooking, and the food he has created has been enjoyed by a majority of the cast.
In Not So Happy Campers - Part 1, DJ is the second contestant and first male to arrive on the island. Upon arriving, the island isn't exactly what DJ expected, saying it looked a lot different in the application form. DJ was put on the Killer Bass.
In Not So Happy Campers - Part 2, DJ and Courtney both chickened out of the cliff-dive, costing their team the challenge, as DJ refused to do it due to a fear of both heights and water. Duncan claims that DJ will be far more helpful in the challenges, meaning that other contestants thinks DJ is valuable. However, Ezekiel is eliminated that night instead of DJ or Courtney because of his sexist comments about women he had made earlier that day.
In The Big Sleep, DJ remains quiet for the whole episode, but does fairly well in the twenty kilometer run. In the "Awake-A-Thon" challenge, DJ ties himself to a tree to prevent falling asleep, but ultimately falls asleep somewhere in between the twenty and forty hour mark, taking the tree down with him.
In Dodgebrawl, he competes in almost all of the rounds of the challenge and does pretty well in them. In the first round, he is able to get most of the Gophers out, with the exception of Cody. Later, when the score is two to zero, most of the team wants Duncan to play, to which DJ points out that he will kill them if someone wakes him up. He cheers for Harold in the final round and carries him after their team's first victory.
DJ performs his ribbon dance in Not Quite Famous. During the audition, he does very well and is signed up to perform in the talent show challenge. While practicing, DJ and the other guys bet Bridgette that she couldn't stand on her hands for twenty minutes. During the talent show, he messed up and only won his team two points.
In The Sucky Outdoors, DJ shows a liking for animals, as he finds a bunny in the woods and befriends it, naming it "Bunny." DJ has a fear of water, as revealed in Up the Creek, after an incident in which he received an extreme wedgie after he dived into the water, which led to him having to go to the hospital to get his shorts removed from his butt. Geoff, however, helped him conquer his fear of water after DJ gave him advice on how to get Bridgette's attention, even though he doesn't have a girlfriend himself. This proved helpful as the incident is what allowed DJ to push his team to victory in the canoe challenge.
In Paintball Deer Hunter, DJ is cast as a deer, in which he embraces his role and perfectly mimics a deer (to the point where he even eats grass and runs on all fours), even when being chased by Owen. When he realizes that Owen had no paintballs left, DJ angrily tosses him over the cliff.
Despite being kindhearted, DJ does join Geoff and Duncan in playing pranks on Harold in If You Can't Take The Heat... (although they were just trying to teach him a lesson about leaving his dirty underwear out in the cabin). He even helps bring Harold's bunk out to the dock so the girls would see him naked.
In Who Can You Trust?, DJ asks Geoff to look after Bunny for him, but due to Geoff's carelessness, Bunny gets eaten by a snake, which gets taken by an eagle, which gets eaten by a shark. However, Geoff tells DJ that Bunny simply ran off, leaving DJ in tears. However, during the "Blind Toboggan Race," Duncan finds him a new bunny, expressing how Duncan had lost his dog after it ran away when he was a child. He did not want DJ to go through the same ordeal, although he kept that sentiment well-hidden from DJ.
DJ is shown to be very unstable during the horror movie challenge to the point where he jumps into Leshawna's arms out of sheer fright. Later, DJ needs to go to the bathroom and takes Geoff with him to make sure he won't be attacked and "killed." However, once he steps into the bathroom he sees Heather with a facial mask, shaving her legs. This sight scares DJ so much that he runs away, making a hole in the door in the process. DJ is one of the participants to warn Gwen that the real psycho killer is after her. Later, Chris announces that DJ did the worst out of every contestant in the challenge since he was already scared when the "killer" didn't even get to him and that he is eliminated. Before boarding the Boat of Losers, DJ shares a group hug with everyone, even Heather.
In Haute Camp-ture, DJ is seen taking care of Bunny the whole episode. However, he loses him several times, due to the fact that Bunny is accident-prone. Later, when Chris asks the 'losers' the person in the final five that they wanted to win, DJ states that Duncan should win due to him finding Bunny and his dodgeball strategy in Dodgebrawl.
In The Very Last Episode, Really!, Gwen mentions she considers him as one of the sane people she has met on the show. When he arrives at the island with the other losers, he sits on Gwen's side, but after Owen mentions his party, DJ switches sides along with a majority of Gwen's supporters.
At the beginning of the special, he was the only person who notices Tyler drowning in the pool. So he runs into the pool but Tyler ends up saving him instead. DJ teams up with Tyler, Owen and Cody in the search for the case.. While he and his alliance were searching for the case, DJ points it out in a tree and he encourages Tyler to get the case down which manages to do after many tries. Much later, the alliance had the case again, but they are caught in a hot air balloon controlled by Courtney. She threatens to kill the four of them for the case. When they jumped out of the balloon, she grabbed the case. DJ is one of the fourteen campers that will move on to Total Drama Action.
In Monster Cash, DJ makes his debut onto season two, and takes a tour of the abandoned film lot with the other contestants and Chris. After seeing how scary and huge the animatronic monster was, DJ passed out. He ended up getting caught by the monster alongside Trent, Gwen, and Beth, and when Owen saved them, he agreed with Trent that it was sad how long Owen had taken to get to the bouncy house. Like the others, he was upset when Owen picked the squashed trailer.
In the second episode, DJ teams up with Gwen, Trent, and Duncan to find alien eggs. He is notably annoyed, along with the other contestants, with Bridgette and Geoff's constant kissing. When he is shot with a paintball, he tells the others to go on without him. He most likely voted for both Bridgette and Geoff that night, as he said that at least they would be together. In Riot On Set, DJ is chosen by Gwen to be on the Screaming Gaffers. DJ's attitude seems to be that of the attitude of his mother, as being a neat-freak. Chef notices DJ's actions and pulls him aside. He tells DJ that they need to stick together, and Chef will teach DJ how to be a man. DJ agrees to this, unknown of the cheating Chef would show DJ in the future.
In Beach Blanket Bogus, Chef begins giving DJ advice about how to win challenges and how to act tougher, such as not to be ashamed when rendered nude and not to become a victim in challenges like the sandcastle-building contest. Chef also takes DJ in as an apprentice chef, presumably beginning in The Chefshank Redemption. Noticing that Chef's cooking usually has terrible taste, DJ adds in some of his mother's special spice, in order to add good flavor to them. Chef also began taking DJ away from his team in order to train him to become tougher, such as in the beginning of the episode, when the males were attempting to break out of their trailer and Justin and Duncan began to question where DJ, who at that time was in the kitchen with Chef, was.
DJ is also seen assisting Chef cook in One Flu Over the Cuckoos, while the two of them were making pizza. This was another occasion where DJ's absence was questioned, this time by Heather, but DJ was quick enough to be able to slip out of the kitchen and claim that he had been there the entire time without garnering any suspicion. He and Heather work together to help the Gaffers "win," or so they think. Soon after Owen gets a "sore,” DJ gets one as well and is quarantined in a bubble. At the end of the episode, DJ finds out that Chef had tainted the pizza with itching powder and laxatives, which causes DJ to feel betrayed and questioning how Chef could have done such an underhanded thing. In the end DJ agrees with the other Gaffers that Leshawna deserves the reward.
In The Sand Witch Project, the guilt due to being in an illegal alliance eventually becomes too much for DJ to handle. DJ began to have dreams and hallucinations about his mother becoming very angry with him and telling him that "nobody likes a cheater" and that she didn't raise him to cheat. Chef also became much more involved in helping DJ and his team win the challenges, which ended up getting him in trouble with the producers. During the Gilded Chris Ceremony at the end of the episode, DJ confessed to everyone on the show about his secret alliance with Chef, and asked to leave the competition, making him the second character in the Total Drama series to either vote or eliminate themselves (after Gwen merely two episodes ago).DJ later appears in The Aftermath: II, and his mother even appears in the audience. It is revealed that even though Chef had pampered him with many goods that the other castmates did not get to enjoy (such as fresh laundry, packages from home, and healthier food) as a result of their illegal alliance, Chef also forced DJ to compromise his own moral character by reading a script to make a fake confessional about how he didn't feel bad about doing whatever it took to win. During the "Truth or Anvil" segment of the show, DJ was nearly crushed by an anvil when he lied about not having a secret recipe for why his sandwiches tasted so wonderful. Frightened that another one would be coming after him, DJ finally came out and said that he added two pinches of Hungarian paprika to the mayonnaise as his secret touch.
Later on, when Gwen came on as a guest speaker, DJ was notably one of the only ones supporting her, as she had become incredibly unpopular with the audience and her fellow former contestants due to the events that transpired as a result from her breaking up with Trent and getting him eliminated from the contest. He applauded Gwen when she arrived on stage, complimented her when she advocated honestly in regards to relationship problems, and even saved her from a falling anvil (though it was Bridgette's lie that triggered it falling in the first place).
DJ was confused in The Aftermath: IV when Izzy said, "Hit it, DJ!" and asked what exactly he was hitting. She actually meant DJ Jazzy Chef when she said this. Chris later did the same thing when he says "Let's move on to DJ" and DJ Jazzy Chef thought it was him. DJ asked Beth and Duncan a question about riding their bikes down three paths, and Beth chose the better answer, in his opinion, by Beth saying she would jump off the bike. DJ chose Beth to win Total Drama Action because he thinks that she would make a gentle millionaire, and the world needs more of those. In Beth's ending, DJ carries Beth when she wins.
In Celebrity Manhunt's Total Drama Action Reunion Special, it is shown that DJ and his mom have started up a kitchen show after Total Drama Action. They were successful for a while, but got sued because their food was unhealthy. DJ, along with his mother, arrived at the red carpet on their tour bus. When asked by Sierra how it felt to "have it all" and then "lose it all," DJ responds with a simple "no biggie." Sierra is about to ask DJ who he can't stand in Total Drama, but DJ's mother slaps Sierra and says that she didn't raise her son to talk trash behind people's backs. The ex-contestants used DJ's tour bus to stop Chris from airing Total Drama Dirtbags. He qualifies for Total Drama World Tour and says he will buy his mom a house and a new bus if he wins.
Upon reaching the airport in Walk Like An Egyptian - Part 1, DJ has to carry Owen down as the latter is still afraid of heights. As Chris is introducing the Total Drama Jumbo Jet, DJ comments on newcomer, Alejandro and states that he is as "smooth as momma's gravy", referring to Alejandro's impression on the female contestants. When the contestants arrive in Egypt, DJ is paired with Harold and Leshawna and the three choose the corridor with the beetle sign. Along the way, DJ finds a chamber filled with mummified animals and pets a mummified dog with affection. However, this disintegrates the dog and triggers a trap, releasing a swarm of scarabs that chase the trio. The three of them are the first to exit the pyramid and deem themselves Team Victory along with Ezekiel, Lindsay, and Bridgette. Despite their success in the first episode, DJ's team loses the challenge in Walk Like An Egyptian - Part 2 and eliminates Ezekiel.
Throughout the season, DJ keeps injuring any animals he encounters by accident. This includes several seagulls, a panda in Japan, a baby seal in the Yukon, a turtle in New York and a baby goat in the German Alps. DJ realizes that he could have been cursed for destroying the mummified dog in Egypt, though Leshawna assures him he isn't. This does not convince DJ otherwise and his path of destruction continues to the point that he attempts many times to leave the competition. Whether or not the curse is real or only in his mind, DJ's team suffers a losing streak and loses most of its members in the first few episodes, leaving only DJ and Lindsay by the end of Slap Slap Revolution.
In The Am-AH-Zon Race, DJ still believes that he should have been eliminated for hurting animals, until Lindsay gives him a pep talk that their luck is bound to change. True enough, Team Victory is the first team to reach the zipline, giving them the only T-Bar available and is awarded a large quantity of bananas for dinner when they reach their campsite. That night, DJ is woken up by a troop of monkeys, which he mistakes for insects, and slaps them until he is shined by Lindsay's flashlight. Horrified for what he has done, DJ bandages up the monkeys and attempts to leave the camp quietly with Lindsay. However, he accidentally steps on a twig, waking up the monkeys who proceed to attack him. Nevertheless, Team Victory reaches Machu Picchu first and they win the challenge for the first time in the season after Lindsay finds the gold. Back in the plane, DJ allows Lindsay to bring Tyler to first class with them.
Still guilty over the number of animals he hurt, DJ decides to become a vegan in Can't Help Falling in Louvre. In the Louvre, DJ finds an Egyptian exhibit, containing a replica of the mummified dog he destroyed in Egypt. Believing that he could end his curse once and for all if he brings it back to Egypt, DJ takes the dog with him. As he attempts to exit the museum, DJ is chased by the baby seal, the bear, and Sasquatchanakwa, causing the golf cart he is driving to crash into his team's statue. Though Izzy manages to save the dog, she accidentally breaks it while celebrating. Team Victory loses the challenge again and DJ tells Lindsay that he will vote himself off; however Chris insists upon a fashion show tiebreaker challenge. DJ decides to choose Gwen as his model, believing that she will be the worst candidate due to her dislike in modeling. To further his chances of losing, DJ gives her his shirt and hat instead of a proper design. However, the judges declare him the winner over Lindsay, much to his disappointment.
As the last member of Team Victory, the other teams attempt to recruit DJ as an ally in Newf Kids on the Rock. However, DJ has lost the will to continue on and attempts to get himself eliminated by not performing the challenges. Heather however is able to trick him into singing Sea Shanty Mix, as well as completing the first two challenges, much to his displeasure. During the final challenge, DJ refuses kiss the fish, even when Heather points out that it has an Egyptian symbol on it, which might remove his curse. After a pep talk from Alejandro however, DJ finally does it and ties for first place with Team Chris Is Really Really Really Really Hot, keeping himself in the game. After two hours, DJ believes that his curse is finally broken and thanks Alejandro for helping him.
With his confidence returned, DJ is determined to win the season in Jamaica Me Sweat. He has also adopted the fish he kissed in the previous episode and names it Irene. While he is glad to have a friend like Alejandro, he opts not to join his team as Chris forbids him from doing so. In a bout of dramatic irony, no longer seeing DJ as a potential ally, Alejandro plans to make DJ lose the next challenge and get him eliminated. During the bobsled challenge, DJ initially has the best record, but upon "overhearing" Alejandro telling Tyler that the Egyptian symbol on Irene is fake, DJ believes that his curse isn't broken and loses his confidence again. On his next turn, DJ's curse takes effect again and he accidentally injures several seagulls and a walrus before going over a loose plank, broken by Alejandro in the previous turn, and is launched into the air. DJ loses the challenge and is automatically eliminated; and despite the plane being stuck on land, DJ is still required to take the Drop of Shame. Upon landing, he is attacked by a colony of fire ants and with his elimination, Team Victory is officially disbanded.
In Aftermath: Revenge of the Telethon, DJ appears as a guest for the telethon, with the initial idea of him cooking a special dinner for those who donate. When this fails to raise any money, Geoff starts a new segment called "DJ's World of Animals", showing various clips of him injuring animals during his time on the show. The animals that he hurt are then brought to the studio in cages, with the ultimatum that as people donate, DJ will pet one. DJ attempts to pet the baby goat but it roars at him, and when the donations got to a certain price, Blaineley releases the animals into attacking him. DJ however manages to escape the studio unharmed while everyone else is attacked by the animals, leaving the studio in ruins and the goal doubled.
When it comes to the final three, DJ chooses to support Cody over Heather or Alejandro, but switches over to Heather's side after Cody is eliminated in Hawaiian Punch. When Heather defeats Alejandro and wins the season in her ending, DJ cheers for her. When the volcano begins to erupt, DJ and his fellow contestants swim away from the island.
In Bigger! Badder! Brutal-er!, DJ appears on the yacht with the other twenty-three original contestants. He is seen dancing alongside Harold and Leshawna.
DJ returns in Eat, Puke and Be Wary, tied to a dolly by Chef. He is terrified that he has come back to Camp Wawanakwa, as he had vowed never to return again as long as he lived, but was forced to due to his contract. Chef forces DJ to judge the final four's meals that they created from ingredients in the woods. He doesn't like any of them, and when Scott's quiche grows an eyeball, DJ screams in horror. He rips through the rope that is tying him down and runs away screaming.
- View this video for DJ's audition tape.
- DJ, Izzy, Anne Maria, and Ella are the only contestants to leave in an episode in which their team won the challenge.
- DJ is one of the contestants to be involved in a double elimination, but did not leave at the same time, as he left after Izzy in Jamaica Me Sweat. The others being Cody and Heather/Alejandro in Hawaiian Punch.
- DJ is one of the few characters to have dotted eyes, the others being Chris, Harold, Beth, and Rodney.
- DJ is one six contestants to be known by their nicknames, the others being Blaineley, Lightning, B, Samey, and MacArthur.
- DJ and B are the only contestants to go by their initials.
- DJ is one of the few campers to curse, and he was also the first to do so, the others being Courtney, Izzy, Lindsay, Owen, Leshawna, Heather, and Alejandro.
- DJ is one of the few characters who selflessly argued that he should be kicked off instead of someone else. In this case, either Lindsay or Justin. DJ is also only one to actually win his argument.
- DJ, along with Leshawna, is one of the only characters who never ended up in the bottom two in Total Drama Island.
- DJ was the tallest contestant, and is the second-tallest character overall (only behind Chef Hatchet) in the original cast.
- DJ is the first male contestant to arrive on Total Drama Island.
- DJ is one of the few characters to have their ethnicity verified. His Total Drama Island: Totally Interactive! bio refers to him as Jamaican.
- This makes him one of the only five contestants known to be born outside of Canada. The other four are Eva, who was born in an East European village, Justin, who was born in Hawaii, Alejandro, who was born in Spain, and Jasmine, who was born in Australia.
- Ironically, he was eliminated there in Total Drama World Tour.
- Additionally, DJ and Justin are the only two characters to have visited their country or state of origin in Total Drama World Tour.
- Chef is somewhat responsible for DJ's first two eliminations, as is DJ himself:
- DJ is one of thirteen contestants never to be voted out normally, the others being Anne Maria, Amy, Cameron, Ella, Jasmine, Max, Mike, Scarlett, Shawn, Sky, Sugar, and Zoey.
- DJ is the first contestant in the series to have an alliance with an authority figure, the others being Owen, Ezekiel, and Blaineley.
- He is also the first of only two contestants to be aligned with Chef Hatchet, the other being Blaineley.
- DJ, along with Harold, Chris, Courtney, and Owen, appear in a Cartoon Network parody called "Total Drama Reality."
- DJ has been on the same team as Harold in the first three seasons, as they were both were on the Killer Bass, Screaming Gaffers, and Team Victory.
- DJ was the second contestant to be cursed, the first being Beth.
- DJ, along with Lindsay, Izzy, Tyler, Courtney, Sierra, and Cody, doesn't sing in the episode he's eliminated in Total Drama World Tour.
- DJ is the second person to vote for themselves, the others being, Gwen, Dave, Harold, and Lindsay.
- DJ is one of five contestants on the show to attempt to throw a challenge, the others being Gwen, Courtney, Trent, and Scott.
- DJ and Eva are the only original contestants who are not in a relationship, whether it is one-sided or mutual.
- He is the fifth veteran to be a part of a challenge in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, the others being Izzy, Lindsay, Gwen, and Heather.
- He is the only male veteran to be part of a challenge.
- He and Bridgette are the only first generation characters with cameos in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island to not appear in the fifth season.
- DJ is the first contestant to ever quit the competition.
- DJ is the only contestant to be in the bottom two in every elimination ceremony that his team has attended before his elimination.
- DJ has been in the bottom two more consecutive times than any other character as he was in the bottom two four times in a row in Total Drama World Tour.
- DJ and Scott are so far the only highest ranking team members to not have been finalists.
- He also receives the most barf bags in Total Drama World Tour, along with Lindsay, with four each.
- This is due to their team being the only one to have Barf Bags at the ceremonies.
- DJ's elimination in both Total Drama Island and Total Drama Action coincidentally involves horror-themed challenges.
- DJ is the one of the contestants with a family member that has appeared in the competition at some point. The other being Leshaniqua.
- Even before Total Drama World Tour, DJ has been seen having bad luck with animals (mostly his two bunnies):
- In the opening song of Total Drama Island, DJ is seen being attacked by several small creatures.
- His first bunny was eaten by a viper and then by an eagle and then by a shark (not his fault this time).
- In No Pain, No Game, DJ's torture was being constricted by a large snake.
- In Hide and Be Sneaky, Owen and DJ get caught after both of them tried to reach a tiny bird on the roof.
- In Haute Camp-ture, his second bunny was kidnapped by an eagle while he was petting him and then fell in Cody's barbecue, escaping when Cody opened it. Shortly after, DJ had Bunny (now bandaged) sent flying after hitting with too much strength the end table it was on.
- In Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island, he, Tyler, Cody and Owen were hanging from Courtney's balloon while a bear was climbing the rope after them.
- DJ has been eliminated back-to-back with Izzy in the first three seasons.
- According to DJ's Total Drama World Tour contestant biography, his favorite music is Jamaican reggae and his favorite food is his Mama's chickpea roti.
- It also states that his favorite movie is "Bob the Gallant Sheep" and that his favorite color is blue.
|Interactions with||Everyone | Bridgette | Chef Hatchet | Duncan | Geoff | Gwen | Harold | Heather | Owen|
|Other content||Curse of the Mummified Dog | DJ's bunnies | DJ's mother | Guys' alliances | Irene|
|Eliminated from Total Drama Island|
|Lindsay||Hook, Line, and Screamer||Izzy|
|Eliminated from Total Drama Action|
|Gwen||The Sand Witch Project||Izzy|
|Eliminated from Total Drama World Tour|
|Izzy||Jamaica Me Sweat||Noah|
|Killer Bass teammates|
|Bridgette | Courtney | DJ | Duncan | Eva | Ezekiel | Geoff | Harold | Izzy | Katie | Sadie | Tyler|
|Screaming Gaffers teammates|
|DJ | Duncan | Gwen | Harold | Heather | Leshawna|
|Team Victory teammates|
|Bridgette | DJ | Ezekiel | Harold | Leshawna | Lindsay|