|Crouching Courtney, Hidden Owen|
|Season 2, Episode 22|
|First aired (CAN)||November 19, 2009|
|First aired (USA)||November 5, 2009|
|Movie genre||Kung fu|
|Challenge(s)||Kung fu Training; Fighting in a Robot Battle; Retrieve a Bonsai Tree on top of a cliff/cook a banquet using the 7 deadliest fish known to man.|
|Reward(s)||A banquet made by Courtney and Beth.|
"Rock n' Rule"
"2008: A Space Owen"
A kung fu challenge comes to the set as the boys battle against the girls. One castmate is not allowed to compete and must sabotage the teams instead for extra drama, but fails. Another castmate desperately tries to form an alliance with someone else, while two others start to mend their conflict. However, the saboteur ruins the new friendship and the unlikely winner earns himself a feast.
The episode opens with Beth and Courtney entering the girls' trailer, with Beth complaining about how exhausting the previous challenge was and Courtney complaining about Lindsay accidentally voting herself off. Courtney then says in the confessional that it was selfish and thoughtless of Lindsay to vote herself off so close to the finals, since it meant that Courtney would have to form an alliance with Beth instead. Beth then says she's going to sleep, but before she does, Courtney asks her if she wants to watch a rom-com (romantic comedy) on her personal digital assistant or eat cheese puffs. Beth says that it's tempting, but then says that she's never going to form an alliance with Courtney and irritably tells her to try and find another "sucker." In the confessional, Beth says that she has been lured into enough fake friendships to not be gullible enough to fall into another one. The camera then goes to the boys' trailer, where Harold is telling his "blankie" to stop tickling him. Harold then wakes up and realizes that he's covered with snails, much to Duncan's amusement. Harold then asks Duncan when he's going to stop making his life so miserable, to which Duncan replies, "when it stops being funny." Harold then frees all the snails, except one, which he says sounds and looks like Leshawna. Harold then names the snail "Leshawna, Jr." and places it in a matchbox next to him and says that he is too excited to go to sleep. However, Harold then goes to sleep for the night.
The following morning, the cast awakens to a loud gong. Unfamiliar with the location, Owen asks where they are, to which Duncan responds that they are back at Camp Wawanakwa. Chris then comes in, "flying" in the lotus position and doing some kung fu moves. He announces that this episode will be a reward challenge and that today, he'll pit the boys against the girls. Courtney complains that there are three boys and only two girls, to which Chris replies that Owen won't compete in the challenge, since he "snuck off set to go skateboarding." Owen then momentarily forgets that he is in an alliance with Chris, but then says that he flagged a taxi and went to the local skate park. Owen then attempts to do a 720 degrees trick, but breaks the board in half. Owen then states in the confessional that he has to sabotage one out of the two teams. Chris then says that in each kung fu movie, the fighters train with choreographers, so for today's challenge, each team will have a "fighter" and a "trainer." After Harold goes through a variety of fighting styles, Duncan lets him be the fighter.
The scene changes to Duncan, making Harold wax the Lame-o-sine. Chris then comes by to see how they're doing and asks Duncan if he can make Harold wax his car too. Duncan asks Chris which his car is. Chris then says "all of them" and the camera zooms out to reveal a parking lot full of Chris' cars. Meanwhile, Courtney is training with Beth, who has to wax Chef's chest hair. The two teams also do push-ups. Duncan stands on top of Harold as he does his, so to outdo Duncan's training, Courtney puts a rock on Beth's back and then stands over the rock. Duncan then retrieves a moose off-screen and puts it on top of Harold in order to one-up Courtney. Courtney is then seen training balance skills with Beth, while Duncan serves Harold "lunch." Harold then takes the lid off his lunch, to reveal a swarm of bees, which proceed to attack him. Duncan is then in the confessional, saying that he didn't know the bees would attack Harold and that it was supposed to be a lesson similar to Muhammad Ali. While Beth is seen training with a punching bag made out of hay, Harold is training with a punching bag with Duncan's face on it. After Harold punches the punching bag weakly, Duncan tries to motivate him, saying that he kissed Leshawna. Harold is so enraged to the point were he punches a hole through the punching bag and starts choking Duncan.
Both teams are seen standing next to a kung fu temple, where Chef proceeds to reveal two fighting robots. Chris explains that the fighters go inside the robot suits, while the trainers operate them with two joysticks. After two minutes of learning how to control the robots, Chris appears, saying that the fight will begin once the "beautiful geisha," who is in fact Owen in a geisha suit, sounds the gong. Harold attempts to lecture Chris in Japanese and Chinese culture, but Duncan makes Harold kick himself to get him to be quiet. Owen then goes to the boys and tells them to watch out for Beth's "killer roundhouse kick." Courtney then whistles for Owen to come to the girls' side, which he does. After being pressured, Owen tells them to watch out for Harold's left hook. Courtney then states in the confessional that she wants Owen to join her alliance with Beth.
Owen finally hits the gong and the match begins. Harold, at first, gains the upper hand over Beth, but Courtney makes Beth hit Harold in the face. It turns into a fight between Duncan and Courtney using Beth and Harold, as they begin to make the two hit each other with force. Duncan then presses the joystick with such force that it makes Harold propel towards Beth. Courtney attempts to respond to the attack, but her joystick breaks. Harold then knocks Beth out of her robot suit, winning the challenge. Chris then calls the medics to tend to Beth.
After the break, Chris announces Duncan and Harold as the winners, much to Courtney's displeasure. Chris then announces the second "exciting" part of the challenge, which Courtney and Beth are freed of. Chris then says that Duncan and Harold must carry a cup of water to the Mount Banshee, which is actually the cliff. They must retrieve a bonsai tree, which is guarded by a "kung fu master," who is actually Sasquatchanakwa. The first one to bring the bonsai tree down the mountain wins the challenge and the day's reward. Chris then says that since the girls are not in the challenge, they'll have to be on kitchen duty.
The scene skips to the boys and Owen, in front of the Cliff. Harold asks Owen if he can take care of Leshawna, Jr., to which he agrees. As both Duncan and Harold begin to climb the mountain, Owen is hoisted up by a rope. Meanwhile, Beth and Courtney are arguing in the kitchen. Chef then comes in and says they'll be preparing a "warrior's meal," which is kung fu noodle soup, using noodles and the seven most dangerous fish known to man. Owen tries to convince Duncan to prank Harold, but he refuses to. Owen then goes to Harold, and tells him that Duncan can barely hold his cup of water and that he could knock it out with a left hook. Harold refuses, saying that the mountain, the water, he and Duncan are all the same. Harold almost drops his cup of water, but Duncan prevents that from happening. Harold then says that if he and Duncan work together, they can split the prize, to which Duncan agrees. Owen is then hoisted up the mountain by Chris, who says that if he doesn't stop the "lovefest," he'll be sent home, without the money he was promised. While that, Beth and Courtney attempt to cook the fish, only to fail. Beth then says that she's allergic to live fish. Courtney then says that she can work on it alone, when she is suddenly grabbed by a tentacle.
The scene cuts to Owen who is wondering how he can break up Harold and Duncan's "dynamic duo." Suddenly, he pulls out Leshawna, Jr. and asks Harold if he heard what Leshawna, Jr. just "said." Owen says that it sounded like Leshawna, Jr.. wanted Harold to beat Duncan to a pulp. Harold says that Leshawna, Jr. taught him to be better, so he won't do it. Courtney is then seen being attacked by jellyfish, while Beth wonders if she could call Brady on Courtney's PDA. The scene changes back to the boys, who are almost to the top of the mountain. As they climb up, Owen asks Harold what he misses the most about Leshawna. Harold responds that she misses her delicate beauty, to which Duncan says that she is as delicate as a freight train. This angers Harold so much that he tosses the water into Duncan's face and knocks him out with a punch to the face. Harold makes it to the top of the mountain, where he dumps the water to the floor and then kicks Sasquatchanakwa twice in the face. Harold retrieves the bonsai tree and starts going down the hill, as Sasquatchanakwa attacks Owen.
Later at dinner, Harold is seen enjoying his noodle soup, as Owen pours some more into his bowl. Owen then poisons himself by drinking the soup, as Courtney offers Beth some more tea, referring to her as "best friend." Beth then asks Courtney if she ever thought of making a girls' alliance, to which Courtney responds that it is a great idea. The two girls then make their alliance. Harold then thanks Leshawna, Jr. for helping him win the challenge. At Leshawna, Jr.'s "request," Harold releases it back into the wild and starts crying as it leaves. Chris then ends the episode by asking the viewers if next time they'll come up with something more exciting.
In the confessional, Duncan is using a piece of cold steak in order to relieve the pain after Harold punches him. It turns out that Harold banish Duncan out of the feast. Instead of being disappointed or angry, Duncan is proud of him as he couldn't believe how fast "the student become the teacher." Then, Sasquatchanakwa interrupts his confession, begging Duncan to give him the steak and also let him sleep in his trailer. Although Duncan gave Sasquatchanakwa the steak, he refused to let him sleep in his trailer and told him to sleep in the woods like a normal Bigfoot.
|Clé Bennett||Chef Hatchet|
- Sasquatchanakwa had lines. However, it is unknown who voiced him.
- Courtney tries to form an alliance with Beth in this episode, despite their conflict.
- Duncan and Harold make a temporary truce in this episode, but Owen interferes.
- Beth mentions how some people "make fake friendships and you soon find yourself doing their science homework." This may indicate that her alliance with Heather was not the first time Beth was used.
- A black version of the Sasquatchanakwa is seen in this episode at the top of the cliff.
- Chris mixes Chinese culture with Japanese culture throughout the episode.
- This is the first episode in the series where Sasquatchanakwa has had a line.
- In this episode, Beth slept with her picture of Brady. This could mean she sleeps with the picture every night.
- Harold shows some strength in this episode as he was able to punch a hole through the punching bag and knock Duncan out.
- This last episode of the season to feature a reward challenge.
- This marks the first episode in Total Drama Action where the forest is shown.
- This is the first episode since 3:10 to Crazytown where there are more male contestants than female contestants.
- This is the first time in the series in which Harold points out Chris mixing up the Chinese culture with the Japanese culture. The second time is in Super Happy Crazy Fun Time Japan.
- This is the fourth episode overall to have a non-contestant/non-crew member use the confessional.
- This is the second episode of Total Drama Action that takes place at Camp Wawanakwa. The first is Beach Blanket Bogus.
- This is the first episode where Harold hits Duncan, which Harold learned in the training part of the challenge by Duncan.
- This is the first time Harold wins a reward challenge.
- The poisonous fugu blowfish and the jellyfish return in this episode.
- This is the first episode since Courtney arrived, excluding Aftermaths, in which she does not mention her lawyers or lawsuit.
- This is the first episode in Total Drama Action and the third ever in the Total Drama series to be a "boys vs. girls" challenge. The first episode in the series this occurred was in Brunch of Disgustingness, however this was before the merge. The other time is in Are We There Yeti?.
- This is the first episode of the series (excluding Aftermaths) where a character's name is in the title. The second is 2008: A Space Owen and the third is Grand Chef Auto.
- This is the last episode Harold set foot on Camp Wawanakwa.
- This episode's title is a reference to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- Courtney's line "wax on, wax off" and Harold waxing the Lame-o-sine and Chris' cars is a reference to John G. Avildsen's movie, The Karate Kid.
- Duncan attempting to make Harold to catch bees using a pair of chopsticks is also a reference to the movie.
- The Sasquatchanakwa in this episode is wearing clothes like Raiden from Mortal Kombat.
- Duncan mentions boxer Muhammad Ali in the confessional, after he was training Harold to fight. This is the fifth time that a real person has been mentioned in the Total Drama series. The first time it was Céline Dion back in Phobia Factor, the second time it was Stephen Hawking in Who Can You Trust?, the third time it was Friedrich Nietzsche in X-Treme Torture, and the fourth time it was Frank Gehry in Beach Blanket Bogus.
- The controllers resemble those of the video game console, Atari 2600.
- The robot costumes resemble two-player action toy and game, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.
- This is the first of two references to Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots in the series, with the second being in The EX-Files.
- On Australian digital televisions the information states that the episode is called 'Crouching Courtney, Hidden Gwen'.
- When Chris points to the camera at the end of the episode, his fingernail is missing.
- Even though the mountain is at Camp Wawanakwa, there is no rocky path or cave on the cliff in Total Drama Island.
- When Beth is talking to Brady on top of the table, the knives are not there. However, in the scene before, they were there.
- When Courtney and Beth open the door to go to bed, it's still daytime.
- Early on in the episode, Duncan states that they are at Camp Wawanakwa, though while the teams are training, they seem to be back at the film set.
- When Chris explains the challenge, he refers to the liquid in the glass as water, however, later in the explanation, he refers to it as tea.
- When Owen is spying on Beth and Courtney, he says Beth has a powerful powerhouse kick, but when he tells it to Duncan and Harold, he calls it a roundhouse kick.
- In the confessional where Harold shows that his nose hair is trimmed, Harold appears to have three nostrils.
- Despite telling the girls to cook the seven deadliest fish known to man, the jellyfish and killer octopus are not fish.
|Total Drama Action episodes|
|Pre-merge||Monster Cash | Alien Resurr-eggtion | Riot On Set | Beach Blanket Bogus | 3:10 to Crazytown | The Aftermath: I | The Chefshank Redemption | One Flu Over the Cuckoos | The Sand Witch Project | Masters of Disasters | Full Metal Drama | The Aftermath: II | Ocean's Eight - Or Nine | One Million Bucks, B.C. | Million Dollar Babies|
|Post-merge||Dial M for Merger | Super Hero-ld | The Aftermath: III | The Princess Pride | Get a Clue | Rock n' Rule | Crouching Courtney, Hidden Owen | 2008: A Space Owen | Top Dog | Mutiny on the Soundstage | The Aftermath: IV|
|Special||Celebrity Manhunt's Total Drama Action Reunion Special|