|Crouching Courtney, Hidden Owen|
|Season 2, Episode 22|
|First aired (CAN)||November 19, 2009|
|First aired (USA)||November 5, 2009|
|Movie genre||Kung fu|
|Challenge(s)||Kung fu Training; Fighting in a Robot Battle; Retrieve a Bonsai Tree on top of a cliff/cook a banquet using the seven deadliest fish known to man.|
|Reward(s)||A banquet made by Courtney and Beth.|
"Rock n' Rule"
"2008: A Space Owen"
A kung fu challenge comes to the set as the boys battle against the girls. One castmate is not allowed to compete and must sabotage the teams instead for extra drama, but fails. Another castmate desperately tries to form an alliance with someone else, while two others start to mend their conflict. However, the saboteur ruins the new friendship and the unlikely winner earns himself a feast.
The episode opens with Beth complaining about how exhausting the previous challenge was in the girls' trailer. In the confessional, Courtney remarks that it was selfish and thoughtless of Lindsay to vote herself off so close to the finals, and tries to form an alliance with Beth instead, because there is no other girl left. Before Beth goes to sleep, Courtney asks her if she wants to watch a romantic comedy on her personal digital assistant or eat cheese puffs. Beth says that it's tempting, but then says that she's never going to form an alliance with Courtney, and irritably tells her to try and find another "sucker." In the confessional, Beth says that she has been lured into enough fake friendships to not be gullible enough to fall into another one. The camera then goes to the boys' trailer, where Harold is telling his "blankie" to stop tickling him. Harold then wakes up and realizes that he's covered with snails, much to Duncan's amusement. Harold then asks Duncan when he's going to stop making his life so miserable, to which Duncan replies, "when it stops being funny." Harold then frees all the snails, except one, which he says sounds and looks like Leshawna. Harold then names the snail "Leshawna Jr." and places it in a matchbox next to him and says that he is too excited to go to sleep. However, Harold then goes to sleep for the night.
The following morning, the cast awakens to a loud gong. Unfamiliar with the location, Owen asks where they are, to which Duncan responds that they are back at Camp Wawanakwa. Chris then comes in, "flying" in the lotus position, and doing some kung fu moves. He announces that this episode will be a reward challenge and that today, he'll pit the boys against the girls. Courtney complains that there are three boys and only two girls, to which Chris replies that Owen won't compete in the challenge, since he "snuck off set to go skateboarding." Owen then momentarily forgets that he is in an alliance with Chris, but then says that he flagged a taxi, and went to the local skate park. Owen then attempts to do a 720 degree trick, but breaks the board in half. He later changes his mind, and says he went to get some food, which the other castmates believe. Owen then states in the confessional that he has to sabotage one out of the two teams. Chris then says that in each kung fu movie, the fighters train with choreographers, so for today's challenge, each team will have a "fighter" and a "trainer." After Harold goes through a variety of fighting styles, Duncan lets him be the fighter.
The scene changes to Duncan, making Harold wax the Lame-o-sine. Chris then comes by to see how they're doing, and asks Duncan if he can make Harold wax his car too. Duncan asks Chris which his car is. Chris then says "all of them," and the camera zooms out to reveal a parking lot full of Chris' cars, as Chris and Duncan laugh together. Meanwhile, Courtney is training with Beth, who has to wax Chef's chest hair. The two teams also do push-ups. Duncan stands on top of Harold as he does his, so to outdo Duncan's training, Courtney puts a rock on Beth's back, and then stands over the rock. Duncan then retrieves a moose off-screen and puts it on top of Harold, in order to one-up Courtney. Courtney is then seen training balance skills with Beth, while Duncan serves Harold "lunch." Harold then takes the lid off his lunch, to reveal a swarm of bees, which proceed to attack him. Duncan is then in the confessional, saying that he didn't know the bees would attack Harold, and that it was supposed to be a lesson similar to Muhammad Ali, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee". While Beth is seen training with a punching bag made out of hay, Harold is training with a punching bag with Duncan's face on it. After Harold punches the punching bag weakly, Duncan tries to motivate him, saying that he kissed Leshawna. Harold is so enraged to the point that he punches a hole through the punching bag and starts choking Duncan.
Both teams are seen standing next to a kung fu temple, where Chef proceeds to reveal two fighting robots. Chris explains that the fighters go inside the robot suits, while the trainers operate them with two joysticks. After two minutes of learning how to control the robots, Chris appears, saying that the fight will begin once the "beautiful geisha," who is in fact Owen in a geisha suit, sounds the gong. Harold attempts to lecture Chris in Japanese and Chinese culture, but Duncan makes Harold kick himself to get him to be quiet. Owen then goes to the boys, and tells them to watch out for Beth's "killer roundhouse kick." Courtney then whistles for Owen to come to the girls' side, which he does. After being pressured, Owen tells them to watch out for Harold's left hook. Courtney then states in the confessional that she wants Owen to join her alliance with Beth.
Owen finally hits the gong and the match begins. Harold, at first, gains the upper hand over Beth, but Courtney makes Beth hit Harold in the face. It turns into a fight between Duncan and Courtney using Beth and Harold, as they begin to make the two hit each other with force. Duncan then presses the joystick with such force that it makes Harold propel towards Beth. Courtney attempts to respond to the attack, but her joystick breaks. Harold then knocks Beth out of her robot suit, winning the challenge. Chris then calls the medics to tend to Beth.
After the break, Chris announces Duncan and Harold as the winners, much to Courtney's displeasure. Chris then announces the second "exciting" part of the challenge, which Courtney and Beth are freed of. Chris then says that Duncan and Harold must carry a cup of water to the Mount Banshee, which is actually the cliff. They must retrieve a bonsai tree, which is guarded by a "kung fu master," who is actually Sasquatchanakwa. The first one to bring the bonsai tree down the mountain wins the challenge, and the day's reward. Chris then says that since the girls are not in the challenge, they'll have to be on kitchen duty.
The scene skips to the boys and Owen, in front of the Cliff. Harold asks Owen if he can take care of Leshawna Jr., to which he agrees. As both Duncan and Harold begin to climb the mountain, Owen is hoisted up by a rope. Meanwhile, Beth and Courtney are arguing in the kitchen. Chef then comes in to tell them they'll be preparing a "warrior's meal," which is kung fu noodle soup, using noodles, and the seven most dangerous fishes known to man. Owen tries to convince Duncan to prank Harold, but he refuses to. Owen then goes to Harold, and tells him that Duncan can barely hold his cup of water, and that he could knock it out with a left hook. Harold refuses, saying that the mountain, the water, he, and Duncan are all the same. Harold almost drops his cup of water, but Duncan prevents that from happening. Harold then says that if he and Duncan work together, they can split the prize, to which Duncan agrees. Owen is then hoisted up the mountain by Chris, who says that if he doesn't stop the "lovefest," he'll be sent home, without the money he was promised. During this, Beth and Courtney attempt to cook the fish, only to fail. Beth then says that she's allergic to live fish. Courtney then says that she can work on it alone, when she is suddenly grabbed by a tentacle.
The scene cuts to Owen, who is wondering how he can break up Harold and Duncan's "dynamic duo." Suddenly, he pulls out Leshawna Jr. and asks Harold if he heard what Leshawna Jr. just "said." Owen says that it sounded like Leshawna Jr. wanted Harold to beat Duncan to a pulp. Harold says that Leshawna Jr. taught him to be better, so he won't do it. Courtney is then seen being attacked by jellyfish, while Beth wonders if she could call Brady on Courtney's PDA, not paying any attention to Courtney's dire situation. The scene changes back to the boys, who are almost to the top of the mountain. As they climb up, Owen asks Harold what he misses the most about Leshawna. Harold responds that she misses her delicate beauty, to which Duncan says that she is as delicate as a freight train. This angers Harold so much that he tosses the water into Duncan's face, and knocks him out with a punch to the face. Harold makes it to the top of the mountain, where he dumps the water to the floor, and then kicks Sasquatchanakwa twice in the face. Harold retrieves the bonsai tree and starts going down the hill, as Sasquatchanakwa attacks Owen.
Later at dinner, Harold is seen enjoying his noodle soup, as Owen pours some more into his bowl. Owen then poisons himself by drinking the soup, as Courtney offers Beth some more tea, referring to her as "best friend." Beth then asks Courtney if she ever thought of making a girls' alliance, to which Courtney responds that it is a great idea. The two girls then make their alliance. Harold then thanks Leshawna Jr. for helping him win the challenge. At Leshawna Jr.'s "request," Harold releases it back into the wild and starts crying as "she" leaves. Chris then ends the episode by asking the viewers if next time they'll come up with something more exciting.
In the confessional, Duncan is using a piece of cold steak in order to relieve the pain after Harold punches him. It turns out that Harold banished Duncan out of the feast. Instead of being disappointed or angry, Duncan is proud of him as he couldn't believe how fast "the student became the teacher." Then, Sasquatchanakwa interrupts his confession, begging Duncan to give him the steak, and also let him sleep in his trailer. Although Duncan gave Sasquatchanakwa the steak, he refused to let him sleep in his trailer and told him to sleep in the woods like a normal Bigfoot.
|Clé Bennett||Chef Hatchet|
- Sasquatchanakwa has lines. However, it is unknown who voiced him.
- This is third episode in the series to reference a character's name in the title, the others being The Chefshank Redemption, Super Hero-ld, 2008: A Space Owen, Aftermath: Bridgette Over Troubled Water, The Treasure Island of Dr. McLean, Grand Chef Auto, Zeek And Ye Shall Find, Scarlett Fever, and Sky Fall.
- Courtney tries to form an alliance with Beth in this episode, despite their conflict.
- Duncan and Harold make a temporary truce in this episode, but Owen interferes.
- Beth mentions how some people "make fake friendships and you soon find yourself doing their science homework." This may indicate that her alliance with Heather was not the first time Beth was used.
- A black version of the Sasquatchanakwa is seen in this episode at the top of the cliff.
- This Sasquatchanakwa is shown with blue eyes, even though usually they're red.
- Chris mixes Chinese culture with Japanese culture throughout the episode.
- In this episode, Beth slept with her picture of Brady. This could mean she sleeps with the picture every night.
- This is the last episode of the season to feature a reward challenge.
- This marks the first episode in Total Drama Action where the forest is shown.
- This is the first episode since 3:10 to Crazytown where there are more male contestants than female contestants.
- This is the first time in the series in which Harold points out Chris mixing up the Chinese culture with the Japanese culture. The second time is in Super Happy Crazy Fun Time Japan.
- This is the fourth episode overall to have a non-contestant/non-crew member use the confessional.
- This is the second episode of Total Drama Action that takes place at Camp Wawanakwa. The first is Beach Blanket Bogus.
- The drumming music which plays before Harold and Beth fight is the same music heard when Harold faces off against Owen in Dodgebrawl, when Chef Hatchet and Izzy fight for the first time in Hide and Be Sneaky, and when Courtney fights Duncan in Million Dollar Babies.
- This is the first time a male contestant wins a reward challenge.
- The poisonous fugu blowfish and the jellyfish return in this episode.
- Owen is poisoned by the blowfish, like Trent was in Total Drama Island.
- Coincidentally, both characters are voiced by Scott McCord.
- This is the first episode since Courtney arrived, excluding Aftermaths, in which she does not mention her lawyers or lawsuit.
- This is the first episode in Total Drama Action and the third ever in the Total Drama series to be a "boys vs. girls" challenge. The other times this occurred was in Brunch of Disgustingness and in Are We There Yeti?.
- This episode's title is a reference to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- Courtney's line "wax on, wax off" and Harold waxing the Lame-o-sine and Chris's cars is a reference to John G. Avildsen's movie, The Karate Kid.
- Duncan attempting to make Harold to catch bees using a pair of chopsticks is also a reference to the movie.
- The Sasquatchanakwa in this episode is wearing clothes like Raiden from Mortal Kombat.
- Duncan mentions boxer Muhammad Ali in the confessional, after he was training Harold to fight. This is the fifth time that a real person has been mentioned in the Total Drama series. The first time it was Céline Dion back in Phobia Factor, the second time it was Stephen Hawking in Who Can You Trust?, the third time it was Friedrich Nietzsche in X-Treme Torture, and the fourth time it was Frank Gehry in Beach Blanket Bogus.
- The controllers resemble those of the video game console, Atari 2600.
- The robot costumes resemble two-player action toy and game, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.
- This is the first of two references to Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots in the series, with the second being in The EX-Files.
- On Australian digital televisions the information states that the episode is called 'Crouching Courtney, Hidden Gwen'.
- When Chris points to the camera at the end of the episode, his fingernail is missing.
- Even though the mountain is at Camp Wawanakwa, there is no rocky path or cave on the cliff in Total Drama Island.
- When Beth is talking to Brady on top of the table, the knives are not there. However, in the scene before, they were there.
- When Courtney and Beth open the door to go to bed, it's still daytime despite them just coming back from the previous Awards Ceremony.
- Early on in the episode, Duncan states that they are at Camp Wawanakwa, but throughout the episode, the contestants are either at the film set or the island.
- When Chris explains the challenge, he refers to the liquid in the glass as water, however, later in the explanation, he refers to it as tea.
- When Owen is spying on Beth and Courtney, he says Beth has a powerful powerhouse kick, but when he tells it to Duncan and Harold, he calls it a roundhouse kick.
- In the confessional where Harold shows that his nose hair is trimmed, Harold appears to have three nostrils.
- Despite telling the girls to cook the seven deadliest fish known to man, the jellyfish and killer octopus are not fish.
|Total Drama Action episodes|
|Pre-merge||Monster Cash | Alien Resurr-eggtion | Riot On Set | Beach Blanket Bogus | 3:10 to Crazytown | The Aftermath: I | The Chefshank Redemption | One Flu Over the Cuckoos | The Sand Witch Project | Masters of Disasters | Full Metal Drama | The Aftermath: II | Ocean's Eight - Or Nine | One Million Bucks, B.C. | Million Dollar Babies|
|Post-merge||Dial M for Merger | Super Hero-ld | The Aftermath: III | The Princess Pride | Get a Clue | Rock n' Rule | Crouching Courtney, Hidden Owen | 2008: A Space Owen | Top Dog | Mutiny on the Soundstage | The Aftermath: IV|
|Special||Celebrity Manhunt's Total Drama Action Reunion Special|