Camp TV was the original prototype series for Total Drama Island. However, the project was cancelled, based on feedback from potential broadcasters and the creators began to create what would become Total Drama.
The only contestants not to appear in Camp TV, but did in the finished series, were Courtney, Noah, Heather, Izzy, and any character that did not debut in Total Drama Island (those being Alejandro, Blaineley, Sierra, the Total Drama: Revenge of the Island contestants, and the Total Drama: Pahkitew Island contestants). While some of the characters, such as Duncan, Trent, Lindsay, Geoff, Harold, and Leshawna's appearances remained almost exactly the same, there were different changes in other campers' looks and/or personalities, such as Beth, Ezekiel, DJ, and Eva.
Beth was featured in the Camp TV promo, though she had no lines. In the promo, she seemed to be part of a nerdy trio. A big difference between the current Beth and the Camp TV Beth is not only the facial design, but the fact that Camp TV Beth is much taller and thinner than her Total Drama Island self. She also resembled Velma Dinkley from the Scooby-Doo series.
In Camp TV, Bridgette's design differs significantly from her current look. She has her hair braided back, wears earrings, and wears shorter shorts (which appear to be torn). Certain aspects of her design are similar to Courtney: her eyes are very wide in her original design instead of the usual relaxed eyes she has currently and has freckles. She also appears to have a necklace. Little else is known about her, since she was not featured in the promo.
In the thirteen character sketch, there is a character simply named "Chef". It is unknown whether or not this is the Chef Hatchet from the final product as he was not in the promo or any promotional art. He differs greatly from the Chef in the actual series in many ways. He is much shorter, about the same height as Camp TV's Ezekiel. Instead of his current white chef hat, he wore a fedora. The rest of Camp TV Chef's wardrobe appears to be the same as his wardrobe in Total Drama.
In Camp TV, DJ was one of the main characters and is one of the most changed characters from the original series. While he appears as a gentle Jamaican boy in the current show, he was portrayed as a large African-American rapper-type character. Despite the more intimidating appearance, DJ's personality was virtually the same, except he is a little larger and had a much deeper voice. He was strong and tall and was kind towards animals and afraid of snakes (shown in some promotional art where Duncan is waving snakes at him and he is backing away in fear). DJ's old design was recycled into one of the members of the intern duo shown in the special and Total Drama Action (the other being a modified old design of Duncan). The intern with DJ's old design has yet to be named, but can be seen in many Total Drama episodes. His only line in the promo, "Aw, come here you," was one of the few to be used in an episode in the present series. He also resembles B, one of the thirteen new cast members for Total Drama: Revenge of the Island.
Duncan had two Camp TV designs. The first was eventually recycled into what is rumored to be Cody's design, then recycled again into one of the main Interns that appeared regularly throughout Total Drama Island and Total Drama Action. A modified version of this design also appeared as one of Chris' band mates from his boyband Fametown.
In his second Camp TV design, Duncan was given a design which is very close to his current design, except for his facial expressions and the color of his piercings. The Camp TV version Duncan developed bags under his eyes and crow's feet on his face whenever he got angry, giving him a grim appearance.
Camp TV's Eva is completely different from Total Drama's Eva. While her current design is that of a muscular, athletic, brutish woman, her older design was thin and much more similar to Heather's. Her face shape is similar to Duncan's final design. Eva was not featured in the Camp TV promo. In the Aftermath episodes, a silhouette of her can be seen in the audience.
Ezekiel's design was almost completely different from his current one. While he is described as home-schooled and living on a prairie today, he appeared to be rich and spoiled in the prototype series, similarly to Lindsay. His facial structure and preppy appearance suggests aspects eventually used for Noah. A modified version of Ezekiel's design appeared as one of Chris' band mates from his boyband Fametown.
Geoff appeared to be one of the main characters in Camp TV, as he is seen in nearly every scene in the promo and promotional art. Geoff was one of the few characters who was nearly unchanged in terms of voice, design and character. Similar to the current series, Geoff was the guy who always liked to party. In Camp TV, it was Gwen who had a relationship with him, rather than Bridgette. Geoff seemed to have a rivalry with Trent, as they are seen in the promo glaring at each other. However, it is possible that they may had became friends later, as one promo picture shows Geoff with his arm over Trent and both are smiling happily. In terms of design, Geoff (like Duncan) remained relatively unchanged aside from the general art design.
Gwen is the only character to have their name changed from Camp TV to Total Drama; her original name was Heather. In Camp TV, Gwen was not a goth, she was simply a loner. Her appearance was very different as well. She wore a brown t-shirt and sandals with light jeans and had red hair and green eyes. She was also attracted to Geoff, rather than Trent (in fact, she seemed to despise Trent, as in many of the Camp TV pictures there seems to be a conflict between the two). Gwen was also voiced by Megan Fahlenbock in the promo.
Harold had a small role in the promo when he asks where his ant farm is, only to say "Never mind" once Lindsay is running by, screaming and covered in ants. The fact that he owns an ant farm is carried over into Total Drama Island. Harold's design doesn't differ much from his current appearance today, the only differences in his appearance being that his shirt has a slogan, "Middle Earth Rocks" on it instead of the hamburger picture, his pink undershirt loosely hung out from the bottom of his blue shirt and he had a pink collar instead of the small green turtle neck.
Justin was one of the characters to appear in Camp TV. His design looks nearly identical to his current design. The only real difference is his face, which had dotted eyes and a friendlier smile. This may or may not indicate that Justin was not originally intended to be an antagonist, but this is hard to determine as he did not appear in the promo. In the Aftermath episodes, a silhouette of him can be seen in the audience.
Katie's prototype wore long pants instead of shorts, and had a different hair-style. Katie's original design can also be seen as part of the cardboard paparazzi in Rock n' Rule. In the Aftermath episodes, a silhouette of her can be seen in the audience. In Jamaica Me Sweat, Katie's prototype is seen serving drinks to Chris and Chef.
Leshawna had three different designs, and was dramatically changed during the transition to each design. In her first design, Leshawna was wearing her regular top with four kumquats on it and a skirt. She was also wearing her large hoop earrings with high heels and a hat. Her second design had little in common with the first except for her face, hair, hat, and heels. She wore an aqua tracksuit with dark gold earrings. Her third design combined her first and second design, making the same Leshawna in Total Drama except for her t-shirt and added wristband on her right hand. Her second design is used as Leshawna's cousin Leshaniqua, with a change in color scheme.
Lindsay was one of the main characters of the show (as a number of campers seemed to just be supporting characters). Like the current show, Lindsay was portrayed as being a spoiled rich girl, as in the promo she is referred to as "The Spoiled Princess" by the narrator. Lindsay still has a relationship with Tyler, one that seems to be similar to Geoff and Bridgette's in Total Drama Action (they are seen making out in a number of pictures). Lindsay and Tyler's relationship is the only one shown in Camp TV that remained the same in Total Drama Island. Lindsay also seemed to be very close with Leshawna (as they are seen in a number of scenes together even putting on nail polish), though with Heather nonexistent in Camp TV and Leshawna offending Lindsay in one scene, it is unknown if they were best friends or adversaries. Lindsay's design today does not greatly differ from her current design. Outside of the obvious change of art style, Camp TV's Lindsay's bandanna has white polka dots, she has sandals instead of boots, her hair is slightly shorter and is more of a darker shade of blonde, her shirt straps are red instead of brown, and she is wearing a visible purple thong instead of her normal pink underwear. She also has a flatter chest in her prototype.
- Note: The pink bikini she is seen wearing at one point matches the outfit she's wearing in a photo in her audition tape.
Despite Owen's role as the winner of Total Drama Island, Owen seemed to be no more than a supporting character in the original series. He was briefly seen in the promo with some other campers in the shower stalls, but only his feet were shown while the rest of him was covered in steam. Most of the basic elements of Owen's design are present in his original form, but there are some differences. While he is still obese, Owen's shirt had torn sleeves with the words "Keg Me" in place of his teal Maple Leaf. His hair is slightly longer as well, curving upward on each side.
Sadie's design greatly differs from her old design. In her old design she is much skinnier, has different clothes than Katie, and her hairstyle is much different. Her first design has been used as a paparazzi in Rock n' Rule. In the Aftermath episodes, Sadie's original design can be seen at the end of one of the rows in the audience. This design was used as one of "The Franklins" as Heather's friend in "The Bills" (Heather's Alternate Reality). Her design also appeared in Celebrity Manhunt's Total Drama Action Reunion Special as Justin's girlfriend when he was breaking up with her. In a Polish clip from Aftermath: Revenge of the Telethon, this design is seen again wheeling Justin in a stretcher through the demolished Aftermath studio.
Trent was one of the main characters of the show, however, he was a late-comer to the camp. In terms of design, the only difference between his look in Camp TV and Total Drama Island is that his shirt reads "Smith's" instead of having a hand print symbol. His character, however, was almost completely different than the current show. While he and Gwen are a couple in Total Drama Island, the two of them were bitter enemies in Camp TV (as they are seen in a number of pictures trying to strangle each other). Trent also was very unpopular among the other campers, while in the current show he is popular among all the campers. His lack of popularity is apparently because he was the only camper considered "normal." However, some art for Camp TV shows Geoff with his hand over his shoulder and both are smiling happily, which may indicate that he was later accepted by the other campers.
- Note: This design was used in most of Cartoon Network's promotional material.
His second didn't wear his red tracksuit, but a light blue t-shirt and cargo shorts. He also had short, choppy hair and sharp facial features. His relationship with Lindsay stayed the same, but there was one difference - he was actually good at sports. His original design was kept and recycled for Duncan's parole officer, with different clothing, seen in Duncan's video message from home and briefly in One Flu Over the Cuckoos. A modified version of Tyler's design also appeared as one of Chris' band mates from his boyband Fametown.
- Announcer: Reality TV is about to get...
(a loon is hit by a rock)
(camera shows Duncan)
Announcer: A delinquent.
(camera cuts to Lindsay)
Announcer: A spoiled princess.
(a bird poops on her as she tans; scene cuts to Tyler)
Announcer: A jock.
(Tyler jumps into the ocean, as Cody, Beth and Harold react harshly)
(scene cuts to a tug of war challenge, as Tyler and Lindsay are kissing)
Announcer: A big hearted line-backer.
(DJ lets go of the rope)
DJ: (to a butterfly) Aw, come here, you.
(scene changes to Geoff partying on a lifeguard chair)
Announcer: A guy who lives to party.
Geoff: Yeah, there! Yo, Chris, what's up? Love that guy!
(Leshawna barges into the cabin)
Announcer: A sister who'll be right up in your face if you cross her. You dig?
Leshawna: What's up, ya'll? Leshawna's in the house, ain't no white girl gonna win this year.
(camera moves closer and closer to Gwen)
Announcer: A loner.
(Gwen closes her diary and moves the camera away)
Announcer: And one guy...who's pretty normal.
Trent: What's up?
(everyone frowns at him)
(various people in the showers are seen)
Announcer: And the rest!
The Rest: Hey!
(scene changes to Tyler throwing a frisbee and DJ petting a squirrel )
Announcer: They have nothing in common, except one goal...
(Duncan knocking down two outhouses with two female contestants inside)
(screaming is heard from inside)
(Trent is shown on camera and Geoff and Trent both exchange mad looks)
Announcer: To be the last one standing.
(sharks are circling in the ocean)
Announcer: They will have to push themselves to the limit.
Lindsay: (about to jump off the cliff) I thought this was supposed to be a talent contest.
(Gwen is seen with her diary at a table, as someone drops down a platter of food)
Announcer: Eat questionable food.
Gwen: You're kidding me, right?
Grub: Hey, now.
(a cabin is shown)
Announcer: And learn to get along.
Harold: Has anyone seen my red ant farm?
(Lindsay comes out of the cabin covered in red ants, screaming)
Harold: Never mind.
Announcer: It's a summer challenge where those who survive elimination... (scene goes from Leshawna and Lindsay doing each others nails to Duncan and Tyler high-fiving each other as they go off a cliff in a raft, screaming and finally Gwen and Geoff relaxing on a chair together) ...will remember for the rest of their lives.
Tyler: Have a cow. What's the big deal?
Leshawna: 'scuse me? What did you just say to me? You have not seen anything yet! I'll show you big, baby! (tackles Tyler to the ground)
(loon is seen swimming in the lake)
Announcer: It all happens here on... (gravestone lands on loon) ...Total Drama Island.
- The only four campers who did not have a design at all from the Camp TV era are Noah, Courtney, Izzy, and Heather.
- However, it is worth noting that three of these four bear striking resemblances to other original designs.
- Heather's current design is similar to Eva's original design.
- Noah's current design is similar to Ezekiel's original design.
- Courtney's current design is similar to Bridgette's original design.
- Thus, Izzy is the only camper who does not bear any similarities with any of the original campers' designs whatsoever.
- However, it is worth noting that three of these four bear striking resemblances to other original designs.
- Camp TV designs for DJ, Duncan, Tyler, and Katie are reused as interns for Total Drama.
- However, some of them have been modified slightly. One example is Duncan's original design, who as an intern, does not wear the tank top the design originally had, and the pants are darker.
- One of Leshawna's original designs was recolored and used in One Flu Over the Cuckoos and Million Dollar Babies as Leshawna's cousin, Leshaniqua.
- The loon from the promo makes numerous appearances in the actual show, usually having its peaceful day disturbed by the campers or Chris, probably having the seagull's role as the tortured animal.
- The grub saying "Hey now!" was used as a clip in the first episode.
- Leshawna says to Tyler in the promo: "Excuse me? What did you just say to me? You haven't seen anything yet! I'll show you big, baby!" She later says this to Harold in Not So Happy Campers - Part 1.
- Tyler's line of "Have a cow!" was given to Owen in Not So Happy Campers - Part 1.
- Lindsay says, "I thought this was going to be a talent contest!" in the promo, which was later said by her in Not So Happy Campers - Part 2.
- Tyler was supposed to be a main character in Camp TV, but in the finished season, his role was minor.
- One of Tyler's original designs also appears in Duncan's video log as Duncan's parole officer, but his clothing has been modified.
- While Chris holds the magazines in Not So Happy Campers - Part 1, as he mentions the winner will receive 'cheesy tabloid fame', prototype designs of Leshawna and Duncan are on the cover.
- In the promo, Lindsay gets attacked by Harold's red ants from his red ant farm. The same thing happens to Heather in Not Quite Famous, although this time it isn't accidental as Gwen put the ants in Heather's bed as revenge for reading her diary to the entire camp.
- It is unknown who is who in the promo when the announcer called some campers "the rest" as nothing is seen, but their feet.
- Prototype DJ's cheery demeanor and physique seem to have been recycled into the final version of Owen, while Lindsay's bad attitude, bossiness and haughty mannerisms were seemingly used to create both Courtney and Heather. But while DJ's final appearance changed drastically, Lindsay’s only changed slightly.
- In the Best. Game. Ever. game for Total Drama Action, if the player is playing a female, the prototype designs of Katie and Sadie's hair are possible looks.
- The sharks at the bottom of the cliff have the same jumping sequence as they do in Not So Happy Campers - Part 2.
- In Rock n' Rule, Sadie, Katie, and one of Tyler's Camp TV designs were used as cardboard standees for the second part of the challenge.
- In the promo, Duncan and Tyler are in a raft, and they high-five before they fall down a waterfall. This is similar to how Leshawna and Heather are slap-fighting in a raft before they fall down a waterfall in the Total Drama Island opening sequence.
- Instead of Trent, Gwen's love interest is Geoff in Camp TV.
- Additonally, she and Trent are shown to be enemies..
- Lindsay and Tyler still have a romantic relationship with each other.
- This makes theirs to be the only relationship recycled into the finished show.
- In the advertisement for Camp TV, it says twelve campers will compete, but only eleven are shown: Geoff, Trent, Gwen, Duncan, DJ, Tyler, Lindsay, Leshawna, Cody, Harold, and Beth.
- In addition, six pairs of feet were shown in the showers (as "the rest"), bringing it up to a grand total of seventeen campers, thus including all, but one.
- Leshawna and Tyler seem to have a conflict in Camp TV. However this was changed for Total Drama, as they never interacted with each other onscreen until Celebrity Manhunt's Total Drama Action Reunion Special.
- Camp TV was originally going to feature twelve contestants according to an advertisement, but it is known that eighteen of the contestants had designs.
- DJ's Camp TV design highly resembles B from Total Drama: Revenge of the Island.
- Coincidentally, all of them are voiced by Peter Oldring.
- According to the first two directors of Total Drama, Todd Kauffman and Mark Thornton, Lindsay was originally going to be the antagonist of the show, and Gwen's original name was Heather.
- When creating Lindsay, Todd Kauffman revealed he was going for a "Reese Witherspoon sort of look".